Cylon

Re: We need to get more players in pangaea PLEASE READ THIS

Post by Cylon »

are you going somewhere?
Ares

Post by Ares »

aldath c'om wrote:bye bye
No reason to be demeaning. He seems quite reasonable.

Imo, yes some things could be changed, but these things are just too radical. Pangaea is Pangaea. The skill books is a huge step for example. Don't think we've ever had something that gives skills before. It's always been frowned upon a lot.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Ares wrote:
aldath c'om wrote:bye bye
No reason to be demeaning. He seems quite reasonable.

Imo, yes some things could be changed, but these things are just too radical. Pangaea is Pangaea. The skill books is a huge step for example. Don't think we've ever had something that gives skills before. It's always been frowned upon a lot.
Yes indeed its a big leap for pangaea to have these skill books avaible that offer additional way to train your character without having complete need for macroing. This is just what has been needed for pangaea for a long long time, offer way to train your character without macroing which has been imo a problem for the game. Afterall macroing is basicaly same as not playing at all, so in other words pangaea has been encouraging inactive gameplay.

Even if you hunt for the money and buy the skill books from others for the macro skills its still way better than simply macroing it because hunting is active playing while macroing is basicaly waste of time.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Cylon wrote:Thanks againg for your answers.

Maby some of my suggestions are too harsh but maby we can find a middleway of everything. There is only basil whos think everything is just fine.
And i haveto tell you guys im not newcomer in this server i make my first character named "sammy" the first day when pangaea opened. But i havet play this game in years. and my original forum account didint even working anymore.
I cant more agree what Ivan says. i think he is on the right track when he says "current class sytem supports only certain classes"
and another thing is that "no religions at all would be best options," i think best uo is totally sandbox when players make the game.
i hope gm;s and andmins do something about this server. but i think they are not. :/
so my only option is suck it up or find a new server. But im gonna stay here now for a while at least

There is lots of good things too in pangaea not just bad :)
Pretty much what you and Ivan have said is spot on. There are a lot of imbalances that exists because of certain structures that have existed since Pangaeas birth. Problem is that they've existed for so long that people don't want to part with them because of a sense of dried up loyalty they feel is owed to the memory of the creators. Such is life though. You gotta accept that when you play on Pangaea, things aren't going to be balanced 1:1 always and that there are clear losers and winners 9/10 in certain situations. Doesn't create a equal playing environment but it's important to focus on the other aspects of Pangaea that have made it unique and try to thrive there.

Player base atm tends to attribute the loss of players / activity as a result of summer, which I find completely false but it is the line of thinking that persists. If you would like to find some players to RP with and perhaps create a common goal, it takes effort and lots of trial and error. Just focus on the positives and if the negatives outweigh them, take a break / stop playing altogether because there is a bit too much stubbornness that still exists here to overcome it. Not the best plug for Pangaea but as some staff like to say: "That's Pang bro". Wish I could offer more words of encouragement, is what it is though.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well I agree, there is a lot that can be done to allow for a more newbie friendly start, that being said however, we are slowly making some strides in the right direction. Anti-PVP dungeons for instance, actually starting new players with more then just a dagger and the clothes on their back. All has helped new characters/players, of that I have no doubts.

Though there are some issues that still need some work, one I found quite striking in the list was that of the posted guides, I agree with him. Some of those guides were written quite awhile back and could use some updating. The class guides probably could use some serious looking into for those of us who have those characters as some of the people that submitted them I don't recognize, which isn't to say it's a bad thing, it just means they're not active anymore and again, as time passes, things change, class fixes are put in place skill difficulties change and what not, these should also be brought up to date. It's a lot of work I know, but if we infuse our game experiences with the respective skill/class guide(s) than really it shouldn't be too bad. Some of this has been done on the Wiki which I suppose, I hope is going to actually be the future for our source of "Pangaea-Conscientia". All the skills/Classes have already been defined, just need to add a guide for the pertinent ones.

As for macroing hours upon hours for skill gains, this has been an issue that has plagued Ultima Online since it was released in the late 1990's. Yes indeed folks, even on OSI you had/have to macro to get anywhere, whether it be resource gathering or skill gains, so it isn't just an issue with Pangaea, every shard that does not offer passive skill gains by just running around smelling flowers has had this issue. Skill books are definitely a great thing to have, I am looking forward to seeing them on the market on the boards! Just hoping that the lower the skill book the more common it is, I assume that will be the case but you never know.

What might be helpful, as a side note, just a passing thought is an ingame .help command or something, could be any .whatever really, but something that brings up a gump with various helpful info such as, all the available dot commands and their functionality, basic vendor commands(though most new players to Pangaea aren't completely new to UO), nothing overly complex just some basics. Hell there are times when I forget what dot commands there are so this would be handy for the veteran players as well I am sure.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
KennairAldshayn

Post by KennairAldshayn »

Talking about the guides...

The 0-65 Anatomy one isn't up to date anymore. That's for sure.

As for ideas to "get more players", you want to motivate old players to return and/or keep new ones. That means improvements to the "End Game" and the "Early Game". Perhaps increase skill increase for base-class characters? That makes it easier to get into a class, and easier to switch to a new one if the chosen career isn't the right one.
Pigeon: 691-280-878
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

In Base Class skill gain rates are fine in my opinion.

I agree that "End Game" might need some work regarding keeping the older players, all this shall come in time as new ideas are submitted, I personally do not have any off the top of my head but there is always things that could be done.

Ultimately however, the current staff have done quite a bit already regarding the starting of new characters, when it comes to guides however, that is up to us players to submit. Unfortunately I did Anatomy a bit back so I can't remember exactly what I used, the only thing I can say about when I trained Anatomy that I definitely remember is that I did it all within city limits without pets or any sort. I will look about to see if I can find a guide, I had one that someone gave me and I inevitably altered or added to.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Found two different guides from my list instantly.

0 - 20 = Targetself
20 - 40 = Horse
40 - 50 = Banker/healer
50 - 65 = Treasure hunter guildmaster/Gambler

00 - 20 Vendor train
20 – 30 Inn Vendor
30 – 40 Banker
40 – 55 Blacksmith Gm
55 – 65 Alchemist GM

If/when skill books are added, if i've understood correctly they will give a chance to train macro skills by hunting which will be a huge + for new players to have option to do it with being active. I just can imagine how fun it'd have been hunting around myself when i was noobie for all the skills that i macroed also in a ROBBER FREE dungeon!

Thats already imo quite a lot advantage compared to how oldies started on pangaea.