Update 30.9

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Boris
Admin

Re: Update 30.9

Post by Boris »

Plate gorgets will be out of barbarians reach. That won't change.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Elwood McCormick

Post by Elwood McCormick »

''A full chain set does not require a neck piece.
A full bone set does not recuire a neck piece.
A full plate set does require a neck piece - that's a minus 5 STR.

See what I'm saying?''

What is the AR/protection of a full chain set?
What is the AR/protection of a full bone set?
What is the AR/protection of a full Plate set?

See what I'm saying?

And i didnt know bone helmets covered the neck too........
Your saying it like wearing a platemail is ONLY a disadvantage.
xHarlequinx

Post by xHarlequinx »

AR is just a number (the average of all armor pieces that you're wearing); however, the actually result of AR occurs when you are hit. The system calculates what part of you're body you're hit on, and then the damage that is dealt by the attacker is reduce by the AR of that specific place.

So, if you're in a plate suit and wearing a necklace, if you get hit on the neck then you have no AR there and take full damage. However, if you're wearing a chainmail coif, the AR of the coif is allocated to both hits against the head hits against the neck. So you can wear a necklace and still have your neck covered by the AR of the coif.

I'm surprised that bone armor covers the head though? Looks pretty clear to me that it doesn't... was this a typo?
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Elwood McCormick,

First of, Bone set requires a gorget as far as I know so I think Mike was mistaken. Or am I?

Second of the AR is just a number. Each slot has it's own armor rating and depending which slot you are hit you take more or less damage. Normally neck is the critical spot. Even if chainmail coif covers the neck, it doesn't cover it as well as a plate mail gorget. Same thing for the head.

With my knight I've never used strength necklace due to above. I've always used gorget and a helmet instead of a chainmail coid. I have never even thought of it as a problem. The 5 less strength to me is not worth sacrificing both the helmet and the gorget to either chainmail coif or just plate helmet - leaving neck completely free.

Anyway, it's a nice small boost and anything that makes my knight closer to playable is a go for me!

[Edit] Argh, Harlequin you beat me to it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Been well explained, but can we get a solid answer on the neck protection of a bone set? I've always heard it protects the neck.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Ares

Post by Ares »

Bone helmet covers the head only
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Generally over 50% of all hits (if all slots are covered) are targeted to the tunic. That's the most important part and generally players should invest more in tunics.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

now that we're talking about it, what about reworking the whole elemental hit/protection thing?you get hit, it goes through armor, or doesn't go through armor, or elemental protection from other armor piece helps even when you get hit on another armor part, etc etc. all that kind of stuff that timujin was always talking about being broken
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

Wait so barbarians want +5 more strength and the armor?

No. You already have an insane amount of strength.
632-140-419
Elwood McCormick

Post by Elwood McCormick »

Im not asking that barbarians be able to wear plate gorget.
Just saying it would be nice for everyone, mages, necromancers,crafters,priests and yes barbs. to be able to wear their jewels without fear of being beheaded....And so to make jewels mergable with leather gorgets too.

Dosent really bother my barb all that much, i use chain coif anyways. But magic users and crafters don't all have this option.