Hospitals - A gateway to death?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Kenyon Ahearn

Hospitals - A gateway to death?

Post by Kenyon Ahearn »

You may or may not know that I'm training to be a doctor in England, I'm now a fourth year medical student at the University of Liverpool.

You may start to see a few of these discussions with regards to healthcare and I do appreciate that all healthcare systems or services may be different. But this is something I'm interested in;

Do you as a non medical professional or perhaps, Laymen, regard hospitals as a gateway to death? This may sounds extreme, but people do have a phobia of hospitals and it is present generally in the older generations. In their minds, once you enter hospital, that is the end, you have lost the battle against the disease you've been fighting.

But this is, as I said, is a point of discussion and I'd like your opinions on what you see a hospital as and also, what place do doctors have in your society; do you hold them within high regard or do you believe they are over paid or lacking in knowledge or a mixture?

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Percy

Re: Hospitals - A gateway to death?

Post by Percy »

Horrible when they misdiagnose you. That's my fear of them. They try to fight something they think you have while actually what you do have isn't going away, just getting worse.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

i don't see anything wrong with hospitals being a gateway to death, but then again, i'm still young. i think it's a lot worse in a senior citizen's residence (i know the correct wording, how do you refer to that place where old people go?)
now, i do think that some doctors lack in knowledge, and they do get overpaid. now, the problem is not with the public healthcare system, but the private. because doctors can work for both (atleast in portugal) they don't give a crap about being in their hospital and just go to their clinic and earn thousands there.
then, it's even worse, because there are few universities to learn medicine in portugal. so much so, and the demand is so high (because of social status and the wages they have), that the average you need to enter medicine is like, 19.5 out of 20. it's, in a word, (two words) FUCKING STUPID. and then, because we don't have enough doctors, foreign doctors have to come to our hospitals lol. a lot of portuguese students study medicine outside of portugal, because you need like, not more than 16 out of 20?
but you know how it is, they gotta make sure that there are few doctors, so the current doctors get all the money and get rich.
this is how it is in portugal atleast
Kenyon Ahearn

Post by Kenyon Ahearn »

Nursing homes glar,

Yeah foreign students do make up a large proportion of medical students in the UK to. Also foreign doctors who come over here to work. I'm not saying it's always a bad thing however, diversity and a great pool of knowledge can never be a bad thing.

In England you need 3 A levels and 1 As level in at least Biology and chemistry. You must also sit an aptitude test and pass an interview. Each year the percentage required to pass is about 65% theory and 85% practical.

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Ares

Post by Ares »

A hospital's saved my life twice. And I've been stitched up quite a few times there too.. So nope. Horribly friendly people mostly, but terrible food. One time when I was 14 or so, a friend and I decided to go explore the hospital. Grabbed a wheelchair and drove eachother around in it, and later stole one of those hospital bikes. Was a lot of fun.. Untill we decided to explore the 2nd subbasement. Long dark concrete hallways and urban stories in mind.. Not a cool idea.

But I'm not British, so what do I know.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Only problem I see with many doctors are their ties to pharmacy companies (I have few friends as doctors so I know it's not everyone but I know these scums exists) . The more you give prescriptions the more you get paid by the pharmacy corps. That is unethical not only on doctor but in human level.

What comes to the hospitals as a whole, I see them as lifegiving more than a gateway to death.