How much influence should fans have on game developers

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: How much influence should fans have on game developers

Post by Glarundis »

ok, i'm gonna quote a few things here
Percy wrote:Lets not forget this, this is a well known fact, no matter how good of a game dev you are, no matter how much you know the script and the secrets behind the gameplay, the fans will always know more than you. The people playing the game will have spent hours and hours on the game testing and trying almost every nook and cranny and then they will complain.
i'm not sure if i agree with this. players play the game while the staff doesn't, but technically speaking, if they know all the scripts and the secrets behind the gameplay, they know more than the game, atleast in theory. they, provided that they get accostumed to the game, will always have to know more than the players who don't know all the scripts and secrets.
Percy wrote:If you've created such a good feature that fans are complaining about, especially after x amount of months/years change the freaking thing because chances are you made it too hard to figure it out.
this i must agree with completely. some things can be good, but maybe they're just too hard to accomplish or find?
like 100 poisoning/stealing, all the supposed cook foods that no one knows about,etc..

Monad wrote:One thing you don't realize Quintoz is that "players" is not one entity. When the playerbase is bigger than 5, those "players" have as many different opinions for balance as there are players. Boost to someone is always a nerf to someone else and vice versa.
i also must agree with monad here. the players don't all agree on one thing, otherwise i think it would be clear, even for the staff, that that decision was the right decision. but sometimes some ppl want this and someone else wants something other. and in those situations we have to admit (or atleast trust to a certain degree) that the staff can see all the things behind it that we do not (because they have access to the scripts, blablabla).

yes, in some things i really get annoyed because i really thing it's too hard to get or to find, etc, but in some other situations, maybe the staff knows better?

if they would agree to everything people said, (remember "bruce almighty" :P) it would be too stupid. priests running with dragons again, magic users with ancients, and even more stupid things. there needs to be a limit. some things need to be fixed in some classes and pvm, but the staff isn't perfect and they can't have all the answers, otherwise all the developments would have been concluded by now because there would be no space for thinking further.