Lag on mount

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Stormay

Lag on mount

Post by Stormay »

So, I am working on a fresh install of both UO (UO classic install 7 0 15 1) and Pang complete.

When I run mounted, it is very laggy and I stutter while running pretty badly. I remember playing this years ago and I never lagged then, and as far as I know the server hasn't changed location dramatically (I am still going from USA - > Europe).

I UOtraced it and it said "excellent", with 140-150ms. That lag isn't great, but I don't think I should be stuttering like crazy with 150 MS (unless UO is just that old that it does?). I notice black patches of ground on the edges of the square game screen while running mounted as well, making me wonder if it is constantly loading every tile from the hard drive or something. Anyone know what would cause this or if there is a fix?

This amount of lag pretty much means no pvp or any kind of higher end monster (even if I had the stats for either), so it's fairly important I fix this if possible. Thanks in advance.
Cyrus Tegyr

Re: Lag on mount

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I don't know I do not stutter as horribly as I used to do, to be honest I don't know what I did cause the only thing I might have done different is I run UO in compatibility mode or admin mode, not at home to look, but as a side note if you try this, you will need to run uoam and easyuo in the same mode.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Stormay wrote: This amount of lag pretty much means no pvp or any kind of higher end monster (even if I had the stats for either), so it's fairly important I fix this if possible. Thanks in advance.
Shouldn't have put this, half the server won't help now just so they have an easy pvp target
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

its the client. uninstall the one you had and just use the installer on pangaea website. its has everything set up just log in after instal
291-697-526
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well it isn't the client, I am not using the client from the website either and I am running fairly smooth.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Jax

Post by Jax »

I have the same problem. I really wish there were something that could be done so I could actually play other than sitting around Britain. :(
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

Stormay wrote:So, I am working on a fresh install of both UO (UO classic install 7 0 15 1) and Pang complete.
ive experienced that you may not use too high upgraded client for playing here unless you like the step-walk with horse
291-697-526
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

I always assumed this had to do with distance from the server. When I was located on the West coast of Canada I had this problem quite badly, then it was better when I was closer to the East coast, and best now that I'm in Turkey.

Not entirely sure though. Would be interesting to know if it makes any difference what ISP you're on (i.e. try a few different connections if you've got a laptop).
Stormay

Post by Stormay »

9 years ago I was on roadrunner in SA, TX and I had no stutter or lag at all. Now I am on a ISP that has 30-50MS to most games (150 to pang) and massive stutter. I think this is likely a client issue and I am going to try a reinstall.

reinstalled using only pang's file, no fix. QQ this is super laggy. :(

Compatibility mode with XP sP3 and Admin mode on doesn't seem to make much effect, if any.
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

Same-ish problem as Stormay, with the added bonus of occasional lag of 1-2 seconds. Unless my ISP routes me like crazy, I should be very close (relatively speaking) to the server considering I'm living in the Netherlands.
Pigeon: 691-280-878