Lag on mount

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Stormay

Re: Lag on mount

Post by Stormay »

Raemonn wrote:Same-ish problem as Stormay, with the added bonus of occasional lag of 1-2 seconds. Unless my ISP routes me like crazy, I should be very close (relatively speaking) to the server considering I'm living in the Netherlands.
Is that 1-2 seconds while mounted? I get that too. I really feel it is caused by loading tiles (thus those black squares you see while running and mounted in the edges of the screen). I wonder if running off a SSD would work? Or even a thumb drive with how big UO is.
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

Aye, while mounted.
Pigeon: 691-280-878
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Lag from the Netherlands makes no sense. I would guess you're ping is under 50ms.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

I just did an UOTrace (I think), and yes: between 20-31 ms.

Damn.
Stormay

Post by Stormay »

Tried installing on a thumb drive I had lying around - no help.

I really don't know what the problem is, I can't imagine a slightly higher ping causing that much stuttering. Gotta be whatever UO client this is not liking some systems.

Im on a 8 core amd FX cpu
Forgot what GPU, but it's mid-high end
Win 7 x64
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

What's your exact location (US is a big land) and connection?

In case of UO, HW doesn't matter. It's a game from 1999 after all.

- Boris
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

I just did a fresh install. Since I don't have any mount (hello Plague Bearers near Cove), and no money to buy a new one just yet, I'll see in a moment if reinstalling helped the issue. Because the ping/ms-thingy is pretty good, right? The lower the better, wasn't it?
Raemonn

Post by Raemonn »

I just did a fresh install. Since I don't have any mount (hello Plague Bearers near Cove), and no money to buy a new one just yet, I'll see in a moment if reinstalling helped the issue. Because the ping/ms-thingy is pretty good, right? The lower the better, wasn't it?
Stormay

Post by Stormay »

Weimar, TX (smallest town ever, I know)
6-7Mb down
1 MB up

It's not an amazing connection by any means, but it still craps on whatever I had 9 years ago. It generally has 30-50MS to other games (GF had 48 on WOW when I looked earlier), which is the lowest I've had in my life.

UOtraced it yesterday and had 140-150 MS to Pang.

I've installed about 4 times now, none of seemed to change anything, though I wish you luck. I think I got an extra horse in my bank if you want it.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Seems about right. The ping to Austin is around 130'ish, and Dallas 120'ish. The ping is what it is simply due to the physical location of the shard. I'd say your biggest problem is (most likely) your ISP. That's an easy check, if you simply post your UOtrace.

- Boris