Shard is down

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

aldath c'om

Re: Shard is down

Post by aldath c'om »

Demian wrote:Getting stuck in verifying account again.
same problem. hopefully wont get as long as last time to solve.
291-697-526
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

aldath c'om wrote:
Demian wrote:Getting stuck in verifying account again.
same problem. hopefully wont get as long as last time to solve.

Same problem here
My bird location is 239081580 footsteps from britain bank!
Edward Sinclair

Post by Edward Sinclair »

Same problem.
Been like this for hours.
Happened before and still don't know why it happened.
Was hoping to spend the day on Pang...

:cry:
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Shard was not down. I've been looking at the logs and it looks like some of you might be using 3rd party programs to connect to Pangaea which are causing excessive connection tries which cause the login problems.

We have 2 options or you stop using the 3rd party programs or I'll have to start banning accounts.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

So because someone else is using some other program than the normal client (so ppl are using something like razor?) the rest of us can't login?
Shouldn't those clients be illegal already?
Demian

Post by Demian »

blckfire wrote:Shard was not down. I've been looking at the logs and it looks like some of you might be using 3rd party programs to connect to Pangaea which are causing excessive connection tries which cause the login problems.

We have 2 options or you stop using the 3rd party programs or I'll have to start banning accounts.
Aren't the excessive connection tries from people simply trying to log in? I had to try to log in around 40 times earlier today before I got in. Was hunting, crashed, and didn't want my royal to roam.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Demian wrote:
blckfire wrote:Shard was not down. I've been looking at the logs and it looks like some of you might be using 3rd party programs to connect to Pangaea which are causing excessive connection tries which cause the login problems.

Aren't the excessive connection tries from people simply trying to log in? I had to try to log in around 40 times earlier today before I got in. Was hunting, crashed, and didn't want my royal to roam.
I had no problem logging in/out during whole day, I managed to swap characters multiple times without a single issue. Last time this happened I was unable to connect myself either. So something is certainly going on with the login, people got stuck in verifying account afaik. So the connection "worked" but verification did not proceed.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

So, I've now looked a little bit further into the logs and it seems that by no apparent reason the connections number always raise from some point on. This can be caused by a number of reasons, but I think it happens because of usage of a 3rd party program or hacked client that doesn't handle the connection rules properly, leading to a server that is waiting for something but never gets it, which blocks the login system or at least makes it keep the connection open.

I ruled out server side issues since we've been running the shard for more than a year and we only recently started to see this issue.

[Edit] I'd recommend everybody to stick with the files and versions provided on the site to make sure we stop seeing this issue. Otherwise we'll just keep having this same problem.
everezt

Post by everezt »

So why there is not a timeout fail-safe on login? Granted, it's not supposed to happen in first place, but then again it's good practice.
Last edited by everezt on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

everezt wrote:So why there is not a timeout fail-safe on login? Granted, it's not supposed to happen in first place, but then again it's better this way.
Handling of connections is done on by the pol.exe so there's nothing I can do to on the side of the server.

Only thing we can do is make sure everybody is using the files provided so we don't run into more issues.