Shard down

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Irming

Re: Shard down

Post by Irming »

The backup of the shard works like this:

2 times each day 5 am and 5 pm (local danish time) a backup is created on the internal extra harddrive (there are 2 harddrives in the server)... These backup files are all kept, and get moved onto an external harddrive every now and then. Every sonday a complete backup is created of the main harddrive to my local NAS server.

In the worst case scenario - a complete crash at 4.59 would mean a time warp of up to 12 hours.. but more than 12 hours should be almost non existing.

Thank you for your appreciation out there - and those of you that whine.. Find another free place to play - cause i wont miss you.

Irming
ICQ 14 38 98 12
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

when is the shard expected to be stable on the normal server?it's still running on the backup right?
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Irming wrote:The backup of the shard works like this:

2 times each day 5 am and 5 pm (local danish time) a backup is created on the internal extra harddrive (there are 2 harddrives in the server)... These backup files are all kept, and get moved onto an external harddrive every now and then. Every sonday a complete backup is created of the main harddrive to my local NAS server.

In the worst case scenario - a complete crash at 4.59 would mean a time warp of up to 12 hours.. but more than 12 hours should be almost non existing.

Thank you for your appreciation out there - and those of you that whine.. Find another free place to play - cause i wont miss you.

Irming
Just a suggestion, if the motherboard supports it, why not make it RAID-1 instead of periodic backups to a second HD?
For one its more efficient and most definitely fail safe!

But as I said, this is only good if the motherboard supports it, software RAID sucks and will clog up the system.
Irming

Post by Irming »

Glarundis wrote:when is the shard expected to be stable on the normal server?it's still running on the backup right?
its still running on a backup computer. Im in the process of installing all software needed on the main server again. I dont know when ill finish - but it will be within a few days.

Irming
ICQ 14 38 98 12
Irming

Post by Irming »

Dalton Azevedo wrote:
Irming wrote:The backup of the shard works like this:

Irming
Just a suggestion, if the motherboard supports it, why not make it RAID-1 instead of periodic backups to a second HD?
For one its more efficient and most definitely fail safe!

But as I said, this is only good if the motherboard supports it, software RAID sucks and will clog up the system.
The motherboard dont support it, but a good idea - and one we have used back in the days.

irming
ICQ 14 38 98 12
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

Good job Irming don't listen to the douches ;)
Aerius

Post by Aerius »

Irming wrote: Every sonday a complete backup is created of the main harddrive to my local NAS server.

Irming
NAS is an awesome cheap method for backing up servers and networks. I'm currently, as i write this heh, setting up a TurboNAS TS219P+ where I work, and use a TS-112. I've hosted a server for free and am familiar with the time it takes. Just letting you know that after not playing for a few years I was excited to see it up and running. I greatly appreciate the game play.

+2 Thumbs up Irming
~639-910-660~
Wille
Developer

Post by Wille »

Lag and difference issues between 2D and 3D clients can unfortunately not be solved via new harware or location. We could reduce lag and also 2D vs 3D speed difference by a very small margin by getting professional hosting, but that hosting costs a whole lot of money constantly. Even if I hosted the shard here in Finland on a 1GB connection some people in the US and Australia still experience lag due to bottlenecks none of our connections have an effect on. This has been tested before.

2D vs 3D issue I'm going to look into once I get through some other things, and I have ideas that should be able to balance it out. Also, someone mentioned 3.0.0c and older clients. I think I'm going to try and see why they don't work as well.

Server - Client communication in it's core is the best solution to getting things running smoother. We can see many good examples of how it has an effect from RunUO alone, which rounds out these things much better. And no, I'm not doing a RunUO conversion, sorry.
Hear it not my lord, for it is a knell. That summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
Edward Sinclair

Post by Edward Sinclair »

Wille wrote:We could reduce lag and also 2D vs 3D speed difference by a very small margin by getting professional hosting, but that hosting costs a whole lot of money constantly.
Hmm you say a very small margin :| Okay, how about lag on 2D client internationally? And you say it costs a lot of money, out of curiosity, how much would it cost? How much does it cost to run the shard in its current state?
Wille wrote: Also, someone mentioned 3.0.0c and older clients. I think I'm going to try and see why they don't work as well.
If you could get the 3.0.0c client to work, I believe this would allow people outside of Europe with slower computers to play again- definite plus :)
Wille
Developer

Post by Wille »

I don't run the shard so I don't know how much bandwith it takes a month and what are the other total costs.

A standard dedicated server fit for our needs would be at least 100€ a month, with proper graphical remote access, enough bandwith, no shared resources, etc.
Hear it not my lord, for it is a knell. That summons thee to heaven, or to hell.