The new character restoration policy

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

tehsquish

Re: The new character restoration policy

Post by tehsquish »

Cyrus Tegyr wrote: As I said I have mixed feelings about it, I hate people who are too immature and rage quit and delete their characters and try to get them restored because 6 months down the road they have finally decided they made a big mistake because they want to return to Pangaea and want to pick up their life on Pangaea as if nothing has happened.
But they don't get to play as if nothing happened... They will have lost all their items and piety and missed out on 6 months of training. I think its fine to let the GMs exercise their discretion - if someone's ragequitting was a problem for whatever reason perhaps make a rule that says GMs can refuse requests. I just don't see how ragequitting hurts anyone but the player themself - and perhaps the admin who has to go digging through files to restore their character - but now at least the shard wins as we get donations when that happens.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Exactly squish.

But I hear ya Callum, and trust me we've been over all scenarios and debated this a lot.
The main point imo is that we might get old players back who had their characters deleted due to inactivity for example, (which is sort of unfair in itself), and people who fucked up and deleted their chars get a chance to undo that fuckup. I really see no harm in that.

We do of course reserve every right to deny a request if it isn't appropriate somehow.

The big selling point though is that we get funds for the server without having to do the yearly fundraiser, and people get a second chance at an old character.

It is a donation. If you donate one of us will be so gratefull that we'll spend some personal time helping you out. You help the shard out, and we help you out.
This distinction is important to us right now for a couple reasons:
- we can't always promise to deliver, and we can't guarantee a delivery time. We don't wan't the responsibility of selling a service either. This isn't a business.
- and secondly for legal reasons as paypal doesn't charge a fee for donations.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Bella, yes. As long as the request comes from the person himself.
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

Oh yay! I am going to bug Akasha and Marcella and Lothar and ..... hmmm! *thinking*
James Blackburn

Post by James Blackburn »

Glar i don't see anything bad with thing you stated, its a chance for oldies to delate their long trained chars and try something new, if you dislike new char you have made buy your old back, server gets money you get to try something new, i see it as win - win
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Glarundis wrote:so hmm..
i could, technically, have a very good char, decide to try something else, delete that one, get another one, and give a little donation everytime i wanna switch back and forth?

why not just use those donations money to give those accounts a 6th slot (can't even remember why that wasn't allowed) or a 2nd account (what's so wrong about a 2nd account?)
The difference is that in the above scenario the player has to keep donating 10 euros each time he switches. The more he does it, the better it is for the shard. If someone really wants to do that, I don't see it as a problem rather than a solution to the shard's server payments.

I understood correctly, a former GM could request his old characters as well?
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

A few former GM's have already sent a request, so yes it's possible.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Ares

Post by Ares »

I am able to restore characters that were deleted after Jan. 2012, for older characters we need Irming to boot up the old server and check those backups so there might be a slight delay there.
Secondly, I need to confirm the donation with Irming before I can do anything.

But, if you've sent a request for a character that I am able to restore, you are welcome to PM me proof of the transfer (like a screenshot), so I can confirm it myself. Just an FYI.
Melkor

Post by Melkor »

Boris wrote:A few former GM's have already sent a request, so yes it's possible.

- Boris
Niceee
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Question: As this is a character restoration and in some cases, your rp may not fit for restoring a character (for instance you made an IG post killing him off or whatever similar reason) does this include a name change as well? if not might be worth a consideration for that on restored characters.

In normal cases name changes should be extremely rare occurrences but in the case of a restored character, that character was essentially killed off from an in game stand point, he is no longer seen in game so it only makes sense to offer that as an option when you first log in with the restored character.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman