Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9.2

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Darian Darkmind

Re: Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Monad wrote:If a citizen is putting on the scale the benefits and disadvantages of joining British or Blackthorn kingdom, what he will think are the benefits what the town perks and faction perks makes possible for the character directly and personally. If Blackthorn faction give extra for the merchants automatically, of course there needs to be some carrot in British towns aswell which benefit the character directly. So an answer to your question is if either should give unique extra, both should give unique extra.

I guess I need to be repeating this for a while, which is understandable but don't think the towns as Law or Imperial towns, they will be Blackthorn and British towns and with this system they will have very little to none to do with the religions directly itself.

But then again I'm not sure if I'm in favor or a static perk what the factions give, but more like same option available for both of them, but the mayor is the one who chooses which perk to choose.
How about we all forget the whole religion and the faction aspects when considering the bonus. Instead think of the towns as INDIVIDUAL towns. Create own background RP story (Minoc a mining town etc) for each town and give all towns their own unique bonus (Minoc for smiths). This way it doesn't matter which religion or which faction is in control, the town has a bonus and it's the same bonus to both Lord British/Law and Lord Blackthorne/Imperial. If Imperial sieges a Law town that has a nice bonus, then that bonus changes hand to Imperial.

In fact I'd make it so that if Minoc has a smith bonus, then whichever faction is in control receives that smith bonus to ALL their towns. The RP reason is simple, by having Minoc and it's tall and plentiful mountais, it is able to support your faction with more resources. This gives yet another reason to siege and conquer towns and expand your kingdom as more towns you have, the "stronger" each town grows.

The holy towns don't have their own unique bonus at all, only the bonus given by the other towns.

This way Religions and Factions will fight against each other more actively because they want as many towns as possible to gain the best bonuses to all their citizens.
Monad
Game Master

Re: Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9.2

Post by Monad »

That's what I said: "But then again I'm not sure if I'm in favor or a static perk what the factions give, but more like same option available for both of them, but the mayor is the one who chooses which perk to choose."
Could be that the towns have one or two unique perks aswell of their own.
But yes, please discuss about it because it's an important thing we should decide upon.
Darian Darkmind

And what's your thought about this:
I'd make it so that if Minoc has a smith bonus, then whichever faction is in control receives that smith bonus to ALL their towns. The RP reason is simple, by having Minoc and it's tall and plentiful mountais, it is able to support your faction with more resources. This gives yet another reason to siege and conquer towns and expand your kingdom as more towns you have, the "stronger" each town grows.
More towns equals to more bonus, which in turn makes your faction "stronger".

I like your idea about allowing the mayors to choose from a list of perks. However, I'd unite these two ideas.

The more towns you have, the more perks are "unlocked". Also, the more towns you have, more perks you can pick. Holy town gives one pick and after that every TWO extra towns give additional pick. So if you have holy town + 6 other towns the mayor of each town can choose 1+3 perks from the list of unlocked perks. I said 1+3 because one perk, the town's own special perk is always activated and cannot be deactivated

Also, each town have their own unique individual bonus which is unlocked as a perk to all towns upon succesful siege. Additional special perks are added if your kingdom grows and captures more towns. For example, if you have 4 extra towns a "guard bonus"-perk is unlocked which, if picked, makes all guards 20% stronger. If you have 6 towns more special perks are unlocked.

And here's a list of possible perks from the top of my head:
The mayor of any town is able to choose a number of perks depending how many towns the faction is currently holding.

1. Merchant bonus.
- Each town has one different merchant bonus (Minoc is Smith, Jhelom is Tamer etc)
- Each town always has their basic merchant perk activated and it cannot be deactivated or changed.
- More merchant perks can be picked by the mayor

2. Fighter bonus
- all fighter citizens gain 5% to all their baseskills while fighting INSIDE the town and 10% if the siege is activated
- requires 6 additional towns to unlock
- requires 2 picks (takes the slot of 2 perks)

3. Magic user bonus (Takes 2 picks)
- all magic user citizens gain 5% to all their baseskills while fighting INSIDE a town and 10% if the siege is activated
- requires 6 additional towns to unlock
- requires 2 picks (takes the slot of 2 perks)

4. Guard bonus I
- your guards are 20% stronger
- Requires 4 additional towns to be unlocked

5. Guard bonus II
- your guards are 50% stronger
- Requires 8 additional towns to be unlocked.
- Doesnt stack with guard bonus I

6. Improved Healer
- Cures plague
- Twice as much mana
- No extra requirement

7. Improved banker
- Gain extra 50% revenue on top of the paid tax. (If the players pay 200k tax altogether, the town gets additional 50% totaling to 300k)
- No extra requirement

8. Ultimatum
- Siege time is doubled
- requires 4 picks (Takes the slot of 4 perks)
- (In other words, requires your holy town + 8 additional towns)

That's some to start with.

[Edit] Edited and added a bit.
Last edited by Darian Darkmind on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vaux27

Re: Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9

Post by Vaux27 »

*deleted*
632-140-419
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Thanks for the responses. How will this system be introduced into the world via RP or do we ALL just assume that it was in place for lack of complicating things?
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

RP introduction and storyline will be executed ofc, how and what kind of is still undecided.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

And Darian, great ideas, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Keep them coming.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

I may have missed this but is there a path that exists for a guild to be a neutral town; in other words, how do neutral towns come to be?
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Tyrion wrote:I may have missed this but is there a path that exists for a guild to be a neutral town; in other words, how do neutral towns come to be?
Yeah, probably needs a bit more specifics:

Neutral towns in the beginning:
  • 1. Serpent's Hold
    2. Cove
    3. Buccaneer's Den
    (4. New Haven – could be changed into neutral town when the system is launched due to its nature nowadays)
  • Neutral towns are more like local communities without a greater faction for those who are exiled, wanted criminals, or generally don't support the British/Blackthorn factions.
  • Neutral towns are towns without Lord British or Lord Blackthorn guards.
  • Mayor can buy elite guards to neutral towns aswell within certain limits and they will protect all the town citizens (red or blue), but not the whole faction.
  • You can convert a British or Blackthorn faction town to neutral town only by political means (mayor launched siege with the support of citizen loyalty %). But neutral town can be converted back to British or Blackthorn towns by religious or political siege.
Darian Darkmind

Is it possible for Nature or Tekstone to siege a neutral town and gain their own guards although neither religion is a faction?