Macrocheck complaint

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Monad
Game Master

Re: Macrocheck complaint

Post by Monad »

Tyrion wrote:This point has been brow beat into our player community from day one. The counter-argument to this is we end up having more orgy-training-fests / macro-heavy players than people actually role playing IG. You either have one heavily supported or the other, the current system supports requiring people to spend more time macroing then doing anything else. A main reason some people hesitate to come back to Pangaea is they recognize and disagree wholly with the system because it encourages macroing to allow for RP instead of simply RP'ing.
I don't see reason why we should change a system which makes people to come back here playing after years and years - like yourself. ;) I see roleplay everyday. I see also players training everyday. We're doing pretty good so why change it. If Pangaea would have allowed players to buy skills from the beginning, I dare to claim this shard would of been dead at least five years ago.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Monad wrote:
Tyrion wrote:This point has been brow beat into our player community from day one. The counter-argument to this is we end up having more orgy-training-fests / macro-heavy players than people actually role playing IG. You either have one heavily supported or the other, the current system supports requiring people to spend more time macroing then doing anything else. A main reason some people hesitate to come back to Pangaea is they recognize and disagree wholly with the system because it encourages macroing to allow for RP instead of simply RP'ing.
I don't see reason why we should change a system which makes people to come back here playing after years and years - like yourself. ;) I see roleplay everyday. I see also players training everyday. We're doing pretty good so why change it. If Pangaea would have allowed players to buy skills from the beginning, I dare to claim this shard would of been dead at least five years ago.
Agreed. The point however is not to change it but perhaps improve upon it so that people whom prefer to spend more time actually RP'ing, new players, have that option than opposed to people content with sitting in their house and macroing, like me.
Masano

Post by Masano »

You have to ask yourself what is the point in macroing? Macroing basically sorts out players who have a lot of time to invest on a character than those who dont. In some ways this is unfair because it means players that have a lot of free time will be better than those who dont...however the alternative is worse.

I honestly think the main reason Pangaea has existed for so long is because it takes a huge amount of time and effort to make a character strong, whether it be skills or piety.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Masano wrote:You have to ask yourself what is the point in macroing? Macroing basically sorts out players who have a lot of time to invest on a character than those who dont. In some ways this is unfair because it means players that have a lot of free time will be better than those who dont...however the alternative is worse.
The flip-side of this is people that only macro. GM macroers I believe the name given to them is. They spend a majority of their time macroing and don't know how to RP / PVP / PVM or they know a variation of the three: can RP but not PVM / PVP, can PVP / PVM but don't know how to RP, can RP / PVM but don't know how to PVP.
Gurrnutt Venomblade

Post by Gurrnutt Venomblade »

im going to agree with Tyrion yes I understand about making skills hard to build up and do understand the reasoning to macro. JE was up for many years and the skill gain was a bit quicker aswell as there was much Rp to go along with it. Nor am I saying either way is right or wrong. Possibly make the skill gain a bit quicker, maybe introduce books of skill like I had propose awhile ago, or do what Modern warfare or gears of war does is put in for a weekend dbl skill gain to promote more player base. Garentee if we dbl skill gained for a weekend the server would be maxed.
*Signed In Venom*
Gurrnutt Venomblade
jalabar

Post by jalabar »

JE? Was that Journey's End? I played there for a bit after The Dark Lands went down, then when Journey's End went down, I moved to Sanctuary. That was where the scripts I am referring to for vendor training were. However, I think someone misunderstood. We are talking spending game gold for training, not RL cash.

Boris, the training was far from instantaneous. I believe something like a point for every 6 hours of in-game time. If you are like many and have a life, 6 hours a day is probably around your max playtime. That means GMing a skill through just training would take nearly three months, and be quite expensive. I wouldn't suggest it for active skills like archery, lumberjacking, smithing, etc, but for mental skills like item ID, taste ID, animal lore, armslore, etc.

I mean really... do you recommend everyone quit school in the third grade and learn the rest on their own? Have something against higher education? This would be considered advanced training. Brain surgeons don't train until they can just attempt brain surgery. Hell, even fry cooks train until they can consistently, successfully cook fries.

And I'm sorry if I came off as recalcitrant, but your response "not on Pangaea" seemed rather self-righteous, and your positions vis a vis RP and advanced training at odds. Due to the nature of the training, players would have to be in-game to gain, but could engage in RP or other activities. It would serve to remove more gold from circulation. If you prefer redistribution, even have players able to train other players up to their own abilities... with the same time restrictions. It does make sense that a master bowyer would be able to help a beginning bowyer advance faster with instruction. And that would require more player interaction... ie, RP. Perhaps a trade gump where on player puts gold in his side and receives training in return. Or even a full apprentice system (I always wished I could script so I could write up something like that).

Hey, I started on Dark Lands, and played on Journey's End. I'm just fine with sitting and 'macroing', which in my case is a fancy way of saying I use a last skill/last target hotkey which I wedge down on my keyboard LOL. Which is why I can't RP and macro, because anything that appears on my screen is gone in seconds. But Sanctuary was by far the best RP server I have played on, and one of the main reasons was their system of training. They allowed it for every skill, but I still believe that the active skills should be learned through usage. I also certainly wouldn't allow it for above class max skills, like specializations, etc. But for a system that grants a lot more freedom for other pursuits while not drastically changing the dynamic (I believe I can macro a skill to GM faster than the training... I would consider it supplemental), and allow for more gold to be removed or redistributed, and even by design require greater player interaction, well... this one works quite well.
Character - Damelion Cormier: bowyer, woodsman, and citizen of Skara Brae.
KrondorZuula
Counselor

Post by KrondorZuula »

Like deodar said, a double XP weekend every once and awhile would be nice to see.

and jalabar: http://pangaea-world.dk/viewpage.php?page_id=4

download uoam and you wont ruin your keyboard and still have usage of your computer

gah edit: download uoloop and you wont ruin your keyboard and still have usage of your computer
Last edited by KrondorZuula on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalabar

Post by jalabar »

Um, I have UOAM already... do you mean UO Loop?
Character - Damelion Cormier: bowyer, woodsman, and citizen of Skara Brae.
KrondorZuula
Counselor

Post by KrondorZuula »

sorry ment loop lol