Please read this

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Maximilian Lhoth

Re: Please read this

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

Mage is definitely decent for PvM, but I think druid is better.

Kal Ort Por - All Kill

And if you are a druid, you can use Jarrood Sabaid Ealadh and the enemy loses its melee potential.

Against strong hitters, summons are nice. Against casters, dragons. And you can use dragons like summons, if you have a recall rune to a stable.

Mage is probably decent for killing white dragons (especially), grey dragons. Also giants go down pretty fast with 2 mages (or other summoners).

I wouldn't make a mage or druid for PvP though.

I think, overall, necro is best, druid second best, mage worst, of the three "true casters".
Houston

Post by Houston »

Maximilian Lhoth wrote:Mage is definitely decent for PvM, but I think druid is better.

Kal Ort Por - All Kill

And if you are a druid, you can use Jarrood Sabaid Ealadh and the enemy loses its melee potential.

Against strong hitters, summons are nice. Against casters, dragons. And you can use dragons like summons, if you have a recall rune to a stable.

Mage is probably decent for killing white dragons (especially), grey dragons. Also giants go down pretty fast with 2 mages (or other summoners).

I wouldn't make a mage or druid for PvP though.

I think, overall, necro is best, druid second best, mage worst, of the three "true casters".
In what view? PvM or PvP?

Mage, necro and druid could have different strenght's.

However, we can see that necro is the best caster in PvP, Bard is best in PvM and pretty good in support, druid best (or not?) in support and mage.. ? A little from everything?

Mage is redicilous.

I cant see any difference between a heightened mage and a GM mage, simply none.

Magic reflection cant be penetrated by heightened magery/eval or by any spell from the regular book, kidding me on this one? Where's you got kill, from the necro book which actually penetrates magic reflection by a high chance AND has a pretty potential chance to instakill the foe (Player, that is).

Where's the mages strenght? A heightened mage, or a GM mage is just the same in PvM, regardless from your game experience. Thanks to the element changes, we got them mages doomed, certainly. From that time, i lost my real interest, potential to even log my mage. I do love to play with him, but i log him just because i love the profession. The rest just makes my eyes and nerves bleed, not just hurt.

Its not about that mage has to be superb in everything now, but he could have something faster, stronger to penetrate magic reflection. Something what has a chance to mage serious (percentaged) damage to the opponent or mob, the spell doesnt have to instakill, like necros do.

It doesnt have to be a complete new spell, something in the spellbook has to bee tweaked, in order to make the mage stronger, faster and even less of a failure?

As for the heighten class, double the skills from the "GM mage with indy cloffs rawkz!" (And no, im not jelaous but my eyes would like to see some balance, such as Ancient skill (+5) = +10 cloth of anything)

Heightened classes aren't currently balanced with the magical clothing system either, if you ask me. Ofcourse not everyone doesn't have a heightened char, but if there are 20 robbers/plague bearers waiting for you out of the city, what else you do than macro?

Nothing has to be achieved in 5 minutes, i've been playing for some years on this shard.
But whatever you achieve, they make it not just harder, but impossible.
Such as playing a mage, they made the living impossible for Ovinnik and not only for him, as he was the only one who achieved something good in this game, but also the other games who try to enjoy to play the mage, the interest simply vanished. Just because Ovinnik achieved a great character to play with. So, the staff thanks us like that?
Raven Darkblade

Post by Raven Darkblade »

Tbh thats how its allways been, i dare not to say how many time priest has god a nerf because gm thinks i owned things too fast, even necros got few nerfs because of me, so nothing new in that tbh.

Yeah necros might got kill, but have you tjecked the castingtime of it?

Anyway like I said from start casters should be boosted pvm-wise somehow.
Houston

Post by Houston »

Raven Darkblade wrote:Tbh thats how its allways been, i dare not to say how many time priest has god a nerf because gm thinks i owned things too fast, even necros got few nerfs because of me, so nothing new in that tbh.

Yeah necros might got kill, but have you tjecked the castingtime of it?

Anyway like I said from start casters should be boosted pvm-wise somehow.
Mage could be the best magicuser in the 1 vs 1 combination.

It's hard to achieve, since magicuser class is quite simulated to eachother.

Mage spells could be atleast twice as hard as they are now or twice as faster and leave the damage as it is with the speed.
ervinkles@msn.com
Zabren - Warrior
Ovinnik

Post by Ovinnik »

Just one thing, I'm not saying the magicuser classes are bad in general, I'm just saying that I used to screw up an Ice Fiend solo before with mage, now I can barely kill a phase spider. There is something wrong with spellcasting monsters only. For all other non-spellcaster monsters that I spanked lately it was really no problem, and it is as it used to be.

Mind you that 100-105 eval does crapload of damage, there's nothing wrong with the mage class about that (compared to 40% eval there is a huge difference).

I'll go investigate spellcasting monsters a bit further as soon as I'm back home from vacation, on my comp and with more normal lag.

________
Ovinnik
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Ovinnik my mage had 108 eval int, the damage aint that great.

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Raven Darkblade

Post by Raven Darkblade »

quintoz his refering to the upperlimit of being heigthen...

so that you used +8 cloth doesnt count...

first at 110+ where the heigthen gains take place i assume
Quintoz

Post by Quintoz »

Oh my bad :).

Stop the cuckening on Pang #MakePangGreat
Geryn Farodae

Post by Geryn Farodae »

I know very little about mages, but as far as casting monsters are concerned, they're fine where they are. Ice Fiend still deals 100-115 damage flame strike through 97 resist, and vamp bone armour, etc, etc.

If you're talking about the problem being casting monsters, it ain't. Only problem is their pitiful AI. Casting paralyse when you're not moving, spamming continually inneffective spells, etc.

I used to hunt with Houston a long time ago, his mage Havel could pwn pretty much everything relatively quickly, then, even after they were nerfed, my 40 piety law priest came damned close to beating him more than once.

I dunno, I still think they were nerfed the way they were for PvP reasons, but I could be wrong.
Rohan Koht

Post by Rohan Koht »

The problem isn't the mage itself. It's rather the lack of options it has when fighting spellcasting monsters.

The monsters' mana was changed and, along with some changes in magery, turned spellcasters into a chess game on an oven. Monsters are quicker casters, spell spammers and with virtually infinite mana. While fighters have healing to get bandages, mages have only their magery and potions. If you spend your whole time healing yourself, you can't really harm the monster, and you'll run dry on mana faster than them for sure, 100% of the times.

I remember one bloodlich once after the first time Reppy changed spellcasting monsters (still back in LL), had me and Ovy literally just draining it for half an hour and it would keep spamming everything from 3/4 times heals in a space of 2 seconds to flamestrikes and mindblasts hitting us both and dropping our reflection. Then Abran's priest came along and just maul'ed down to the ground in 5 minutes while we healed him.