Macrocheck

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Ares

Re: Macrocheck

Post by Ares »

Kent Strider wrote:This macrocheck shit needs to go away :P As does the super long logout wait outside of Inn/house, it does nothing but make this game more of a chore than an actual game. If I am in the middle of a dungeon and all of a sudden I got to go, why should I have to take all that time to clear the dungeon again on the way out? I don't know, you can't casually play this game, you got to be all in or nothing.
I agree. But you need to fix the downsides (and convince the rest of the playerbase) before whining. "Rob -> log out -> safe" would be a problem for example.

Or.. "Have a good script and macro for 48 hours, completely ignoring other characters IG because you're macroing" i.e. zombie mode, which is unfair for those who don't know how to script, and is bad for ze RP atmosphere.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Basil Brotheamus wrote:I don't personally remember a single case where it would have happened to any player during the 5-6 years as a staff handling the macrochecks every day.
I had an incident like that years ago, it was brushed off pretty easy
Masano

Post by Masano »

Ive said this in the past and was ignored/fobbed off for whining. They did eventually legalise macro alarms which was a small but fairly insignificant step because using a macro alarm was already endemic throughout the playerbase and never punished anyway.

Its not about being soft, its about adapting the rules to suit the playerbase. Many players started here as teenagers 5-8 years ago with lots and lots of spare time to play- for most of us we now have jobs or other commitments.

With this size and age of playerbase its pretty foolhardy to have a black and white approach to macrochecks. Im not saying that players should be able to hold staff to ransom but there is a kind of arrogance that players will just accept it because 1) they enjoy playing here and 2) Losing one skill is a drop in the ocean compared to the weeks of online time a lot of players have already invested in the game.

As the spare time you have to play UO decreases the severity of failing a macrocheck increases substantially as it takes 10x longer to remedy it.

I think macrocheck disputes should ultimately be up to staff discretion and handled in private to avoid whines of player favouritism. It could mean that a few people get away with it but who cares really? The shard has been going for so long now every man and his dog is hightened.
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

I honestly wouldn't say I was whining, just telling it how it is, we are all getting old now :P Meaning less and less time is available to play.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

There's no need for a script change. You can always quit your jobs, divorce your wives, leave your children behind, etc.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Boris wrote:There's no need for a script change. You can always quit your jobs, divorce your wives, leave your children behind, etc.

- Boris
Or better yet, teach your kids/wives to answer macrochecks for you!
Biggs

Post by Biggs »

Iktomi wrote:
Boris wrote:There's no need for a script change. You can always quit your jobs, divorce your wives, leave your children behind, etc.

- Boris
My misses is trained in the art of macro check answering
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

Iktomi wrote:

- Boris
The ultimate goal is to teach GMs not to drop your skills :P
Ares

Post by Ares »

Masano wrote:With this size and age of playerbase its pretty foolhardy to have a black and white approach to macrochecks. Im not saying that players should be able to hold staff to ransom but there is a kind of arrogance that players will just accept it because 1) they enjoy playing here and 2) Losing one skill is a drop in the ocean compared to the weeks of online time a lot of players have already invested in the game.
What do you mean with arrogance? It's the same for all.. We all know it sucks, but then again, time there's no better alternative.

I once had the idea of letting people have a skillgain when they correctly answered a macrocheck though :P I bet we'd never see a failed macrocheck again.

I know I'm probably the only GM with this opinion, but I wouldn't mind raising the answering time to 10 minutes for example. Or add special rules if you're in your house or something.
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

Ares wrote:I know I'm probably the only GM with this opinion, but I wouldn't mind raising the answering time to 10 minutes for example. Or add special rules if you're in your house or something.
I feel like you really "get" the player-base more than the other GM's, no disrespect to anyone else.