THE OFFICIAL CLIENTS THREAD

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Athan01

Re: THE OFFICIAL CLIENTS THREAD

Post by Athan01 »

There is a tome balance to come still that will atop any whining. But yeh that is the other thing that's a problem. Between 3d and balance of tomes is why so many people have gone inactive, why I've stopped pvping as of recent..
Patience is a virtue though, hoping both problems get addressed sometime this year
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

You can whine about tomes when they're finished. That's enough about that subject and stick to clients.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Andoriel

Post by Andoriel »

willie can you give us some update on where in development the 3.00 client is?
with the current rauter combined with 3.00 client will eliminate continantial speed diference.
Once the speed diference is gone, pure pvp mongers will not be able to hunt down NA players(even with the current rauter they can). So you'll have to deal with tome whines but meh not my problem..As long as i can hunt the way shard is designed to(speed wise) I dont have a fuck to give ;)
Last edited by Andoriel on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Andoriel wrote:willie can you give us some update on where in development the 3.00 client is? Like literaly what have you done with it so far?
with the current rauter combined with 3.00 client will eliminate continantial speed diference.
Once the speed diference is gone, pure pvp mongers will not be able to hunt down NA players(even with the current rauter they can). So you'll have to deal with tome whines but meh not my problem..As long as i can hunt the way shard is designed to(speed wise) I dont have a fuck to give ;)
Obviously, Wille is still busy with his IR responsibilities, which come first. As much as it is annoying to have to wait for both tome / client updates, we're all going to have to just wait. I've been waiting for Imperial tome rite updates for years, whats another couple of months - years? The rite we were given recently helped a bit but there is still much more left to do. As for the client issues, they are only issues on the primary server, which atm, should be enabled with 3d so that people can continue to go about their IG daily lives. What comes to the dedicated server, 100mbts - 1kmbts does not restrict us as it would have on the primary server so the discussion to disable 3d needs to be considered and TESTED on the dedicated server, more intently.

If everybody can run on the dedicated server using 3d at the same speed that is a win, win imo. If we switch the client, we lose the opportunity for opening Malas up again (not as an Imperial benefit but as a shard growth opportunity), T2A (possibly), current realistic graphics for: giants, dragons etc., and other things we have not even considered or probably know about. The argument to disable 3d at this point in time definitely needs to be taken into consideration. As it stands, most NA Canadian players (that tested the dedicated server) lag or freeze in both PVP / PVM and for that group of people it is not a viable option. Yes, there are those that will not care or "play the same", but they are an even smaller segment of the NA Canadian population that is affected adversely by 2d -only-.
Wille
Developer

Post by Wille »

ETA for 3.xx is 'Distant future'. Consider it a Blizzard style release date.

We hope we don't have to go down to 3.xx if the dedicated server proves to be adequate enough without. 3.xx would mean downgrading a lot of content and doing a lot of manual map reworking which is very unwanted.

For tomes I will probably do several updates in one day once I get to it. I just prefer doing updates for several religions at once and not a whole single religion tome in one night, leaving others feeling left out.
Last edited by Wille on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hear it not my lord, for it is a knell. That summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Buying a dedicated server and still allowing 3D would be...
We're trying to find a cure, not ruin the game.

The current setup is:
  • AMD Opteron 1210 CPU with 2 x 1,8 GHz
    2 x 200 GB HDDs
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
If we recieve enough funds to run a whole year, we could take an upgrade, wich is only +60€ per year.
  • AMD Athlon X2 4850e CPU with 2 x 2,5 GHz
    2 x 500 GB HDDs
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
Upgrade from 100/100 to 1000/1000 is yet another +120€ per year.

- Boris
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Boris wrote:Buying a dedicated server and still allowing 3D would be...
We're trying to find a cure, not ruin the game.

The current setup is:
  • AMD Opteron 1210 CPU with 2 x 1,8 GHz
    2 x 200 GB HDDs
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
If we recieve enough funds to run a whole year, we could take an upgrade, wich is only +60€ per year.
  • AMD Athlon X2 4850e CPU with 2 x 2,5 GHz
    2 x 500 GB HDDs
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
Upgrade from 100/100 to 1000/1000 is yet another +120€ per year.

- Boris
Are there any available PCI slots for upgrading the RAM? Also, we still have to consider the 3d test for speed balancing at the minimum. I've already stated the reasoning why and it wouldn't be a permanent change, just long enough to chronicle the benefits for all, especially our longer hop based players.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Next upgrade is 80€/month with 4-core CPU/16GB RAM/1000MB connection.

It's all up to how much donations are recieved.

- Boris
Wille
Developer

Post by Wille »

I will note here that POL won't benefit from 2+ core solutions any more than from a 2 core solution. It's also highly unlikely we'll ever peak over 4GB of memory or 100Mbit connection. More bandwith in this case doesn't equal less latency.
Hear it not my lord, for it is a knell. That summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Wille wrote:I will note here that POL won't benefit from 2+ core solutions any more than from a 2 core solution. It's also highly unlikely we'll ever peak over 4GB of memory or 100Mbit connection. More bandwith in this case doesn't equal less latency.
What are the benefits of higher bandwidth?