-Blessed items only be used by members of the religion...

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Masano

Re: -Blessed items only be used by members of the religion..

Post by Masano »

Mike, a case can be made either way whether or not those weapons blessed by a religion would have the ability to deal more damage if held by someone who had no devotion. You could argue once the bless is on it doesnt matter who holds the weapon it still has added religious power. Alternatively you could argue that the blessing of a weapon does nothing to its physical charactersitcs and power and that it adds a different kind of spiritual damage that is only present if the person wielding the weapon is devoted to that god.

I dont believe the staff made this decision from an RP point of view, rather because they felt it was in someway unfairly using the game mechanics in order to gain an advantage... which you either agree with or not.
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

Mike wrote:Most of the comments are simply not worth responding to, but I will yet again make a simple statement. A weapon bless is imbuing a piece of metal with some extra punch. To be able to do so requires study (meditation skill) and devotion. None of these are required to actually wield the piece of metal after it has been empowered. Blessing a weapon and handing it to someone else is the easiest thing in the world do to within an RP setting.
Or it could be the same as with religious tomes - you're not divine enough to wield a weapon/armour that has been blessed by the power of a god, i.e, it hurts to wield it etc. Just saying that from RP point of view, whether or not someone should be able to wield a blessed weapon is basically just matter of opinion.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

agreed with jyrgen and masano.

mike, it's not so easy.
why do people with no poisoning, even if given weapons with poisoning, it's not like being a char with poisoning?the weapon is poisoned already.. (has this been changed?) though i heard with 100 poisoning you can poison the weapon and it will work while other ppl use it.

and i'm not making theories about religions i'm not a part of. i'm saying what i think of tekstone + telborea + nox.
if i'm wrong, correct me, since you're atleast in one of them. i'm not against telborea having dennac's blessing, but then, make a rp story explaining why dennac is helping followers of another god. and have it make sense.
Simmo

Post by Simmo »

Ive heard that you need poisoning skill to poison your opponent.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

yes simmo, but isn't it "stupid" too? the weapon is poisoned, you just have to hit with it, the poison enters the blood on its own :P
likewise, if you need poisoning to poison someone with a weapon (not just to poison the weapon) then to use a weapon with religious bless, you should have piety (which would mean no more blesses for non-piety chars. now that'd suck :P)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Jyrgen wrote:
Mike wrote:Most of the comments are simply not worth responding to, but I will yet again make a simple statement. A weapon bless is imbuing a piece of metal with some extra punch. To be able to do so requires study (meditation skill) and devotion. None of these are required to actually wield the piece of metal after it has been empowered. Blessing a weapon and handing it to someone else is the easiest thing in the world do to within an RP setting.
Or it could be the same as with religious tomes - you're not divine enough to wield a weapon/armour that has been blessed by the power of a god, i.e, it hurts to wield it etc. Just saying that from RP point of view, whether or not someone should be able to wield a blessed weapon is basically just matter of opinion.
The tome is used to cast a rite. Casting a rite is an action that requires meditation, the skill of ritecasting as far as religion is concerned, and piety. The skill to use a maul is called macefighting. My rationale is that much like snograz or lunar, the blessed weapon effect requires no additional training. I can see how it's a matter of opinion. I don't argue that there's no reason for the change, I'm agruing that there is a reason not to change it. Removing the matter of RP that has been put forth as an argument for this nerf from the table.

As for poisoning, I don't think it's logical that the skill should determine how often you successfully poison someone. If you think about it, using a poisoned blade is not much different from using a non poisoned one. You may have more success with training, but it's not that much of a science. Not that I argue that poisoning should be changed from balance perspective.

Also, Glarundis, you're posting theories about our guilds and religion. You just said so yourself, thank you for agreeing with me.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I think what Mike is trying to get at, is that if you are handed a weapon blessed by say Law, that you are going to fighting WITH law not against them. So why would their god not want to help their followers more?

Correct me if im wrong.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

The change is not only about RP but also about fixing what was unfair advantage. Don't waste time splitting hairs, it's not going to help.
KrondorZuula
Counselor

Post by KrondorZuula »

Boris wrote:I don't see a reason for a non-religious character hitting any religion damage.

Another option is that there's no restriction for blessed items, but when you wear i.e. a Law blessed item, you're a part of that religion (devotion) and this way you hit+recieve religion damage.

- Boris
Masano

Post by Masano »

Wolfie wrote:I think what Mike is trying to get at, is that if you are handed a weapon blessed by say Law, that you are going to fighting WITH law not against them. So why would their god not want to help their followers more?

Correct me if im wrong.
Because Winchester would not or cannot grant power to those who are not fully devoted to him. Talking about this from an RP perspective is completely pointless because you can always justify things no matter what...thats the RP for you.

Edit: and like i said in my earlier post which monad has confirmed, its not about RP, its about what is now considered to be an unfair advantage in game mechanics.