Consistency in roleplay?

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Kat Asherstone

Consistency in roleplay?

Post by Kat Asherstone »

I get it, it's a game you can change the reality of a situation in .1 second if you want to
lately all players are doing is backtracking their own roleplay, changing KEY character traits at the drop of a hat

Why is it on a roleplaying server things like this don't get mentioned, players aren't raked across the coals for making CLEARLY contradictory character views.

I mean maybe I take it a little more serious than others, I try and remember things characters do or say and how that might effect the future but then I see players that can't even remember if their character is Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil
and act both ways when we ALL KNOW or SHOULD ALL KNOW that it's impossible for a character to be both chaotic and lawful at the same time... the least you could do is make some shit copout like your character has a deamon inside or something, not hard... but to not explain why a sudden change is made, that's bullshit.

welcome to pang bro
Kat Asherstone

Re: Consistency in roleplay?

Post by Kat Asherstone »

the best part is, the new players are shaming the old players when it comes to consistancy of character, one new player even went back and editted his post and even made it publicly known (didn't have to do that) that it was to change the way the character direction was to reach the NEW POINT HE WANTED... he didn't just go, well shit this isn't where I want my character and just pick it up and move it to the new point.... he moved it, methodically, like a real RP is supposed to be... people don't change over night because of nothing, there MUST BE A CATALYST. Since most posts are done in a third person semi-omniscient way it's a little harder to get over then a First Person narrative.

I know not everyone uses the same language, not everyone has the same backgrounds or upbringings but we are all here because we wanted to be on a roleplaying server and i highly doubt anyone wanted to be on one with legolas and gandalf... but right now the roleplay warrants gandalf and legolas... at least they had decent character development.
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

it's a very tricky question, but how do we fix stuff like that?sometimes the implications are so deep that even I can't make sure I'm followings things right.
first, we should all have a way to store all the knowledge about our chars so that we don't forget (and yeah, textfiles aren't gonna cut it :S)
then, i think that if everyone around you isn't giving a crap, you tend to not give a crap aswell. best example of this, in my case, is my assassin. i try to keep a general idea of my characters, my bard is this, my priest is that, etc etc, but when it comes to my assassin it's just like...everything goes. first i tried to make him like he would act arrogant to other ppl and be against law and stuff, but when everyone seems to not care about anything at all that all of a sudden my assassin is friendly towards other players just because...
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Players can't remember if they're chaotic or lawful evil?

Start from the basics, brah. My wild guess is that 50% of the player base don't even know the difference... and I'm not saying this in a negative way. Language barrier is another major factor. When you can't express yourself in a literal sense, it's hard to create a character for yourself.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Boris wrote:
Start from the basics, brah. My wild guess is that 50% of the player base don't even know the difference... and I'm not saying this in a negative way.

- Boris
You should be, it's a roleplaying server.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kat Asherstone wrote:
Boris wrote:
Start from the basics, brah. My wild guess is that 50% of the player base don't even know the difference... and I'm not saying this in a negative way.

- Boris
It's not a D&D server, so we don't have that whole alignment system.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Glarundis wrote: i think that if everyone around you isn't giving a crap, you tend to not give a crap aswell. best example of this, in my case, is my assassin. i try to keep a general idea of my characters, my bard is this, my priest is that, etc etc, but when it comes to my assassin it's just like...everything goes. first i tried to make him like he would act arrogant to other ppl and be against law and stuff, but when everyone seems to not care about anything at all that all of a sudden my assassin is friendly towards other players just because...
I feel like this is the problem, people just don't care
Welcome to pang bro :cry:
Meghana Arroway

Post by Meghana Arroway »

I care, and am doing my best :)
Meghana Arroway - Aspiring Bard and Songwriter
Lyon Cera - A Buccaneer's Den former Thug, with emphasis on "former"
Alastor Wormsent - A priest without a job, does that make him a hobo?
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

There are plenty of players who have started from complete scratch. I'm literally referring to guys who knew two words in english, yes and no. And it's really rewarding to see these guys still playing with us and their progress down the road is a +++. So it's important to understand, that people start from different levels. For example I spent my childhood with pen&paper, so I never had problems playing on a RP shard for the first time. If random guy #2 jumps from CS 1.3 to UO, with weak engrish and no clue about roleplaying... the transfer is not going to be as swift.
Kongoan wrote:I care, and am doing my best :)
- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

Mike wrote:
Kat Asherstone wrote:
Boris wrote:

- Boris
It's not a D&D server, so we don't have that whole alignment system.
No but people in real life don't change like that, it's not RP for any character any "system" D&D up to real life itself for a person to suddenly change states, unless that is a state itself

So apparently I should just read this as, half the shards characters are bat shit insane, ok.