New Players + Welcoming Environment

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Yudhishthir

New Players + Welcoming Environment

Post by Yudhishthir »

With all the influx of new players lately. You can probably ask every one of them what they experienced in their first week (month?)

Robberies in Britain with no role play. Murders to base class. Plague constantly around newbie areas. Sure they don't loot. But you can't get your corpse when it's guarded by a plague bearer.. Ready for decay? Oh let me run to the healer, oh what? now the guards are plagued? now the healers plagued? oh great. Now the whole newbie area is plagued and all the NPCs are dead. Sure the plague bearers dont loot. But you essentially took out that newbies ability to play until another player comes along and decides to clean up the mess of the griefer. And that is enough to turn a new player off in their first 15.

When said newbies questioned staff and forums. They receive replies by the murderers in question with insulting posts, internet lingo pictures. Insulting internet lingo humor. And a basic "You cant hack it dont play it" welcome. I have also noticed non-chalant insults towards Americans from one poster in particular. And his comments have went by with no actions taken. Empowering said abuser to continue his insults.

It has been very noticable that a certain two staff members are close friends of these murderers in question. And one of the murderers who has achieved several un-rp kills (and we have the screenshots) suggests to turn them into these two staff members specifically.

One GM in question that I turned a screenshot into told me that he has played on Pangaea before 2002. Shard launched in 2002. No conclusive event took place to inform me if anything was ever handled, in fact. Shortly after I heard of another non-rp kill made by the same guy. SS.. Turned in. No action taken.

If you take a look around the forums, all you see is discussions regarding PVP, robberies, no RP, the ability to cut and paste other games RP and apply it to this world. People have been questioning, and not getting answers, nor results. Just getting pictures posted with icanhazcheesburger style humor. This does not show mental capacity of the staff and their rules and their RP they have laid out for us, nor the mental capacity of the people defending their no RP kills and robberies.

Unfortunately I have to say I've seen all the maturity come from the new players and robbery victims. And all the "lol zomg your so 1337 you cant handle it" coming from the current player base. And is then defended by the staff saying "turn in screenshots" and then not followed up. Not taken care of. Same event takes place next day.

The GMs seem to back up these zomg posters more then they do the new players.

The sad thing is, I was so excited to start playing on Pangaea again, happy to see new things in play, an active player base, role play, and aside from the overwhelming abundance of books, the training grounds I think is excellent for new players. With a little tweaking around starting areas and to the training grounds, it can easily attract new players. I then started bragging to friends getting them to start playing again. Every one of us has dealt with a no-rp robbery on the first week by the same person/guild, and those of us that pursed the screenshots were talking to walls.

I have to point out a certain welcome that a certain staff member gave to a husband and wife couple returning to Pangaea "if you ever you each others accounts or give each other your passwords yada yada yada banned banned banned banned" What a great "Welcome back to the shard you two! So glad to have you re-join us" No.. What in the heck did these two ever pour in your coffee that you decided to go spew on their face as a "welcome back" to the shard. That advertises amazingly welcoming and helpful staff.

So to break things down. My assumptions have been clear to me since day one. Reign of Death has something to do with Clan of Love. Clan of Love is not as "lawful" as they say. Reign of Death doesn't know what RP is. And these guilds are backed up by GM Argon and Admin Boris.

Unfortunately the best shard I've ever played on, has been peed and is not very appealing after a short time of playing here due to the current player base that seems to be in power and backed up by the staff.

The staff nor the players in question have any mature or logical defense or comments on the situations. Just zomg pictures. Some pictures go so far as to defecate on each other with animations and sexually stimulate oneself. Fantastic attraction to the shard. Not reprimand from the staff? That's great advertising to new players searching for a great shard. Boards filled with disgusting pictures, insulting posts, and arguments about robberies. And GMs saying "submit screenshots via PM" Oh. To hide the events from the general public so it can be dusted under the carpet? Great job. You should FOLLOW UP the submitted screenshots and tell us either "the robber has a screenshot to show he was in the right, and here it is" Or, "thank you for your submission, your situation has been investigated, your screenshot was accurate, the correct discipline will be taken" Currently it's all hush hush dust under the rug. Furthering the suspicion of these 2 staff members that the main robber in question refers his victims too, are in coherts.

I say we have a thread so we can post our screenshots in question on the forums, so that the players in question can discuss the situation and feel like it's been handled. Or you need to add a follow up with a screenshot coming from the robber in question. As it is now, you turn in screenshot, and you hear about the same guy doing the same thing to your friend the next day.. then the next day... then the next day.. These situations with no follow ups as it is, have not been handled, and I can guarantee you, the GM never questioned the robber about it.

I have been a player, a counselor, a high priest, ran the largest merchant guild for over a year, and a GM on this shard. I have even created things that are currently in the scripts in the shard. I know the ins and outs of the shard, I have played since 2 weeks after the official shard launch in 2002. It is really sad that the quality of some things degraded this far, and seems to be supported.

Things do need to be worked out and soon. And not just turned into a flame fest then locked. Post some real thoughts and real responses and real actions. Mature. No insults. No 1337 lingo. Post towards us the way we are posting towards you. We are being mature with our posts in question, and being replied with immature remarks. We do not wish to wax moronic, we want to find out the bottom of this and play the shard as we originally intended.

If you want, I will make another post with links to all the posts I have found where GMs hush a subject. Where Reign of Death, especially the poster Johnny Walac insults other players and posts insulting immature pictures towards them and is not reprimanded. We can make a nice collage of all the advertisements of the shards current playerbase mentality and the staff backing it up on one easy commercial for new players to suck it all up in one post. Or we can dust this thread under the rug, lock it. And let players surf the boards as they are, to find all those disgusting posts like happy land mines.

P.S.
My previous thread was locked without being answered or addressed. Meaning that I can officially RP that my character comes from the planet earth, and got sucked through his computer screen while playing ultima, and knows all about internet and internet lingo and TV.. And in fact, was playing on Pangaea when he got sucked in through the screen.

... End of Line...

(disclaimer: Everything in this post was stated by me. Nothing has been stated by others. No one asked me to post, nor did anyone tell me to include their situations. Do not hold anyone personably accountable for anything I have stated except myself.)
Kent Strider

Re: New Players + Welcoming Environment

Post by Kent Strider »

I strongly agree with your post good sir, those certain players are the current reason no one sees me IG. My guess is those certain players reply to this post trying to sound cool and egotistical.
Iru Kandji

Post by Iru Kandji »

Yudhishthir wrote:With all the influx of new players lately. You can probably ask every one of them what they experienced in their first week (month?)

Robberies in Britain with no role play. Murders to base class. Plague constantly around newbie areas. Sure they don't loot. But you can't get your corpse when it's guarded by a plague bearer.. Ready for decay? Oh let me run to the healer, oh what? now the guards are plagued? now the healers plagued? oh great. Now the whole newbie area is plagued and all the NPCs are dead. Sure the plague bearers dont loot. But you essentially took out that newbies ability to play until another player comes along and decides to clean up the mess of the griefer. And that is enough to turn a new player off in their first 15.

When said newbies questioned staff and forums. They receive replies by the murderers in question with insulting posts, internet lingo pictures. Insulting internet lingo humor. And a basic "You cant hack it dont play it" welcome. I have also noticed non-chalant insults towards Americans from one poster in particular. And his comments have went by with no actions taken. Empowering said abuser to continue his insults.

It has been very noticable that a certain two staff members are close friends of these murderers in question. And one of the murderers who has achieved several un-rp kills (and we have the screenshots) suggests to turn them into these two staff members specifically.

One GM in question that I turned a screenshot into told me that he has played on Pangaea before 2002. Shard launched in 2002. No conclusive event took place to inform me if anything was ever handled, in fact. Shortly after I heard of another non-rp kill made by the same guy. SS.. Turned in. No action taken.

If you take a look around the forums, all you see is discussions regarding PVP, robberies, no RP, the ability to cut and paste other games RP and apply it to this world. People have been questioning, and not getting answers, nor results. Just getting pictures posted with icanhazcheesburger style humor. This does not show mental capacity of the staff and their rules and their RP they have laid out for us, nor the mental capacity of the people defending their no RP kills and robberies.

Unfortunately I have to say I've seen all the maturity come from the new players and robbery victims. And all the "lol zomg your so 1337 you cant handle it" coming from the current player base. And is then defended by the staff saying "turn in screenshots" and then not followed up. Not taken care of. Same event takes place next day.

The GMs seem to back up these zomg posters more then they do the new players.

The sad thing is, I was so excited to start playing on Pangaea again, happy to see new things in play, an active player base, role play, and aside from the overwhelming abundance of books, the training grounds I think is excellent for new players. With a little tweaking around starting areas and to the training grounds, it can easily attract new players. I then started bragging to friends getting them to start playing again. Every one of us has dealt with a no-rp robbery on the first week by the same person/guild, and those of us that pursed the screenshots were talking to walls.

I have to point out a certain welcome that a certain staff member gave to a husband and wife couple returning to Pangaea "if you ever you each others accounts or give each other your passwords yada yada yada banned banned banned banned" What a great "Welcome back to the shard you two! So glad to have you re-join us" No.. What in the heck did these two ever pour in your coffee that you decided to go spew on their face as a "welcome back" to the shard. That advertises amazingly welcoming and helpful staff.

So to break things down. My assumptions have been clear to me since day one. Reign of Death has something to do with Clan of Love. Clan of Love is not as "lawful" as they say. Reign of Death doesn't know what RP is. And these guilds are backed up by GM Argon and Admin Boris.

Unfortunately the best shard I've ever played on, has been peed and is not very appealing after a short time of playing here due to the current player base that seems to be in power and backed up by the staff.

The staff nor the players in question have any mature or logical defense or comments on the situations. Just zomg pictures. Some pictures go so far as to defecate on each other with animations and sexually stimulate oneself. Fantastic attraction to the shard. Not reprimand from the staff? That's great advertising to new players searching for a great shard. Boards filled with disgusting pictures, insulting posts, and arguments about robberies. And GMs saying "submit screenshots via PM" Oh. To hide the events from the general public so it can be dusted under the carpet? Great job. You should FOLLOW UP the submitted screenshots and tell us either "the robber has a screenshot to show he was in the right, and here it is" Or, "thank you for your submission, your situation has been investigated, your screenshot was accurate, the correct discipline will be taken" Currently it's all hush hush dust under the rug. Furthering the suspicion of these 2 staff members that the main robber in question refers his victims too, are in coherts.

I say we have a thread so we can post our screenshots in question on the forums, so that the players in question can discuss the situation and feel like it's been handled. Or you need to add a follow up with a screenshot coming from the robber in question. As it is now, you turn in screenshot, and you hear about the same guy doing the same thing to your friend the next day.. then the next day... then the next day.. These situations with no follow ups as it is, have not been handled, and I can guarantee you, the GM never questioned the robber about it.

I have been a player, a counselor, a high priest, ran the largest merchant guild for over a year, and a GM on this shard. I have even created things that are currently in the scripts in the shard. I know the ins and outs of the shard, I have played since 2 weeks after the official shard launch in 2002. It is really sad that the quality of some things degraded this far, and seems to be supported.

Things do need to be worked out and soon. And not just turned into a flame fest then locked. Post some real thoughts and real responses and real actions. Mature. No insults. No 1337 lingo. Post towards us the way we are posting towards you. We are being mature with our posts in question, and being replied with immature remarks. We do not wish to wax moronic, we want to find out the bottom of this and play the shard as we originally intended.

If you want, I will make another post with links to all the posts I have found where GMs hush a subject. Where Reign of Death, especially the poster Johnny Walac insults other players and posts insulting immature pictures towards them and is not reprimanded. We can make a nice collage of all the advertisements of the shards current playerbase mentality and the staff backing it up on one easy commercial for new players to suck it all up in one post. Or we can dust this thread under the rug, lock it. And let players surf the boards as they are, to find all those disgusting posts like happy land mines.

P.S.
My previous thread was locked without being answered or addressed. Meaning that I can officially RP that my character comes from the planet earth, and got sucked through his computer screen while playing ultima, and knows all about internet and internet lingo and TV.. And in fact, was playing on Pangaea when he got sucked in through the screen.

... End of Line...

(disclaimer: Everything in this post was stated by me. Nothing has been stated by others. No one asked me to post, nor did anyone tell me to include their situations. Do not hold anyone personably accountable for anything I have stated except myself.)
A. Nobody from the current staff is favoring anybody. You come to this shard expecting things to be as they were, surprise surprise, they're not, they're actually better. Less restrictive staff, more ability to rp freely, within limits, and the ability to determine our own characters destiny.
B. You do an absolutely magnificent job of making yourself and other Americans look like mongoloids when all you do is whine and whine and whine. The shard has been in this state before you got here. The RP (because that is precisely what it is) has been on going since early this year. Your conspiracy theories are based on nothing more than you're own conjecture and subconscious playing tricks on you, get over yourself; the world does not revolve around you and neither does pangaea.

The maturity level of this shard has been stagnating for quite some time; but, your incessant wall of whine postings are adding to that quotient. Your achievements, to date, revolve around posting these ridiculous walls of text which, not suprisingly further alienate yourself from the community, if that is your aim, than, by all means, alienate away. I further the argument now: you are taking an IG matter and making it OOC. Between the IG robberies / killings and your OOC, I would prefer the constant robberies, at least that is RP and done in such a manner that it remains consistent with the atmosphere of the shard where as you have done nothing but make OOC post after OOC post with little to none, IG rp. Instead, you depend on Kat to make immature RP posts, boasting the death of individuals IG, right on doods; continue to show your hypocritical state of superiority, its working wonders and is 'very' mature, no brownie points for you. Moving right along: The players do not have to defend THEIR, keyword here, -THEIR- rp to you or anybody else. Oh yes, they are making the logical defensive motions against you, in their own way, you are choosing not to listen to them; that is a personal issue, not a "them issue." Anybody who was banned for abusing accounts is given the warning, you and your pals are not exempt from this 'courtesy,' / friendly reminder. Try not to read too much into it, but I won't hold my breathe. Lastly, the tone of all of your posts are immature, illogical, nonsensical as well as overbearing and rude; which IS the reason it was locked.

To recap: If you want to have a meaningful conversation, you need to change the tone of your posts: stop leading off ALL of your OOC threads with acid laced verbiage and purposefully directed commentary towards somebody because you are too emotional IG to control your feelings OOG.
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

And how did I just get dragged into this?

You want to people are RP'ing but as far as I can tell from the storyline there is nothing about no one else being in contention for that throne, so I'll throw my hat in just as I please, and if you think that I made another Forum account to post walls of text then you are sorely mistaken, or if you think that I even know this person posting you're mistaken again, either way you cut it I'm not part of this, I'm Rp'ing the shit outta the board and if you have a problem with my RP then take it up with a GM, but I've gone through all the posts and the rp is solid within the storyline given thus far...
Kat Asherstone

Post by Kat Asherstone »

"Lastly, the tone of all of your posts are immature, illogical, nonsensical as well as overbearing and rude; which IS the reason it was locked.

To recap: If you want to have a meaningful conversation, you need to change the tone of your posts: stop leading off ALL of your OOC threads with acid laced verbiage and purposefully directed commentary towards somebody because you are too emotional IG to control your feelings OOG."

Actually his posts have been very logical and well thought out, emotional yes, but not without a clear logic, and it was locked not because of what he said but because of the way the thread progressed from there.

Too emotional IG to control feelings OOG... I think you meant it the other way? cause last time I checked the player players the game not the character... now stop being all ad hominem on him.

btw, I don't think Boris or any of the other GM's are doing anything other than be a GM, I talked to several about the current RP status of the shard, current events and some of the gaps in rules that may/may not be abused atm and it's like someone said in another thread, the shard is getting it's bearings in a way, much like a new shard.

To the OP I can say this, have faith, Pang has always been a great server and as long as the current GM's and Admins have the idea of reviving Pang to where it used to be as a server, well then eventually, things will get better, although better might not be the word.
Milkbags

Post by Milkbags »

Does this count as RP? Im trying to understand it:

P.S. At what point after you die are you asked to join his citizenship?
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

Best RP I've seen from him yet ;)
Lily Shiar

Post by Lily Shiar »

'aight, have to say that in another journal when this guy says "Hello" I really have nothing to say.
But in first one. He yelled "halt" did you run away? becasue that is enough to attack you. How you think
someone can rp anything if you run away right away when they come?

If you didnt run, then those both were illegal kills and you should post em for GMs
I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I must be perfect!
Milkbags

Post by Milkbags »

Lily Shiar wrote:'aight, have to say that in another journal when this guy says "Hello" I really have nothing to say.
But in first one. He yelled "halt" did you run away? becasue that is enough to attack you. How you think
someone can rp anything if you run away right away when they come?

If you didnt run, then those both were illegal kills and you should post em for GMs
Posted on the Shard Information for Rules concerning Pangaea and PVP:
Player versus Player (PvP)

Before you engage yourself in a Player versus Player (PvP) related situations, you must read the rules below thoroughly and follow them. PvP in general is a very touchy topic, so rule breakings are never popular. Pangaea is not a PvP or Player killing (PK) oriented shard, but we feel that PvP to a certain point can be great asset to RP, which is why it is allowed.
Situations where the rules have been bent or misinterpreted, will likely fall out to the victim’s advantage so stay on your toes and don`t break the rules.

Any PvP situation where the game masters will be involved to solve a dispute between two players, the attacker will be responsibly to provide screenshots there CLEARLY documents that the attack was in accordance with the rules. (You will be the attacker if your opponent gets the *’Name’ is attacking you*).
However, when attacked it is recommended to take a screenshot with [printscreen] button of the journal with the text saying "XXXXXX is attacking you!" and pasting it to Irfanview (Downloadable from pangaeaworld.dk's file section) or some other image altering program (MS Paint for example) using Ctrl+V command.
This way you ensure the right judgement and ease the work of the GM handling the case.
Pre-casting spells can be sign of hostility, but is not considered an attack, unless the involved guilds are at war, or war has been declared on the forum.

If the attacker fails to prove that the attack was done in accordance with the rules, he will have to return everything he looted from the corpse and replace any lost item if the game master finds the attacker responsibly for the loss.
The only evidence the victim must provide is that he in fact was attacked, this can be done with a single screenshot of your journal that shows the *’Name’ is attacking you*.
These rules are made to protect both parties of a PvP conflict.

Before an attack
For an attack to be acceptable there must be a role play reason for the attack, and this reason MUST be made perfectly clear to the victim BEFORE the attack start (before the victim receives the *’Name’ is attacking you*).Using a macro to quickly fire off the reason for the attack is not allowed for 2 reasons, if you fire off the macro the player will have little chance to even read it, and secondly because it will lower the role play quality if each attack will be stated with the same macro every time
After you have told your victim the reason for your attack, you must wait a few seconds until before you can attack, to be sure the victim have a change to read the reason. This rule will have to be enforced strictly to prevent situations where the attacker fires off his reason and then attacks right away.
If your reason for an attack is revenge, insults etc. you must have evidence for those reasons in the form of a screenshot.
Lily Shiar

Post by Lily Shiar »

But still, how you think he is able to give any reason if you run away right away?
Robbing would be impossible?

I am not sure if there was topic about this already. And atleast when Repsak was Admin, Halt was enough IF target starts to run right away. There is really no way to rob/murder anyone if all just starts running away when they see red name.
I am nobody. Nobody is perfect. Therefore, I must be perfect!