What have you been playing?

Discuss here anything you like to, but keep a proper tone

Moderator: Game Masters

Cyrus Tegyr

Re: What have you been playing?

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I've been dinking around with Terraria, it's a Minecraft side scroll style game. I have fun with it, I like building things in it, but it does have progression, I just suck at games in general lol so I have a map I have progressed a little ways with some irl friends I play with from my youths in California whom got me playing it despite me owning it for near a year.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Charha

Post by Charha »

I've been playing Game Dev Tycoon. It's pretty simple, but I found it super addictive. The point is to develop games, build game engines and market your products. There's no real learning curve, but as your company grows the game gets more complex. You get to do marketing and even create your own gaming console. I didn't find the game all that challenging, but it was lighthearted and fun. I wish it would have been possible to conduct more detailed in game research and surveys. Having played RPGs all my life I seemed to have a knack for creating them (top scores most of the time!), but I couldn't make a decent sports game no matter what. I still have no idea what I did wrong.

I also tried this pretty wacky RPG experience simulator game called The Knights of Pen and Paper. In this game you basically control a pen and paper RPG setting, the game master and everything. First you choose players for your campaign (from your grandma to the pizza guy) and give them different character classes. Some character classes are locked at first, but can be unlocked as the game progresses. As the game begins your characters start grinding EXP and gold while you get to experience a fantasy RPG campaign with a variety of cliches and more or less amusing popular culture references. For example, you can battle the glitching missigno from the pokemon series, there's Bill Murray, gremlins, knights who say Ni... I even spotted one Ultima reference. You also get to upgrade the dungeon master and fill the table with snacks and figurines that boost your characters. I played the game for a couple of days. It started to get boring by the time my characters hit level 40. In the end there was too much grinding and not enough fun stuff to do, at least for my taste. Some of the monsters are fun, but you get bored of them by the time you've had to mow them down by the hundreds.
Ares

Post by Ares »

I played game dev tycoon too. Pretty awesome for a casual game. After the first playthrough it was sort of over though.

Heard really good things about knights of pen and paper. I must try it.
Charha

Post by Charha »

Oh my god, I started playing this action platform game called Guacamelee thinking it might be super fun. Turns out it is, in fact, super fun and zany and full of crazy internet memes that made me laugh out loud. But jesus christ it gets so hard. I've never hated a game that I liked this much. The fighting is fun for the most part and the characters are wacky, but the boss fights and the puzzles just get harder and harder to the extent I want to stab myself in the thigh with a fork and scream expletives.

Anyway, in this game it's the day of the dead somewhere in Mexico and you get to play a luchador who's on an epic journey to save his girlfriend (no independent female characters here) and save the world from a posse of undead evildoers. The artwork and the animations are eye-poopingly good. The gameplay is pretty addictive; as you advance you get new powers that affect the way you interact with the game world. It is recommended to play this game with a controller because you get to smash a lot of buttons. What I like the best about this game is that it's full of absurd stuff. You get to play as a chicken, too. The humor is close to genius.

But seriously, goddamn those stupid yellow skeleton bastards. Whoever came up with the yellow skeletons was one motherhugging sadist. Nnngh, they're invincible.
Attachments
ku-xlarge.jpg
ku-xlarge.jpg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 7519 times
Oomari

Post by Oomari »

felt into the EVE online trap and got stucked........
Daren Priesten

Post by Daren Priesten »

I got the privilege of being a beta tester for Elders Scrolls Online... And I took lots of screenshots :D Very fun

I made a wood elf shadow warrior woodcutting archer

THIS is a harpy! lol

When you are waiting for a group to finish a quest in a dungeon you can just whip out an instrument and play music.

PVP

Tear down the walls!! arr

The best way to end a Beta is to get naked and start dancing

Charha

Post by Charha »

Is there any actual roleplaying in Elder Scrolls Online? I cry internally every time I see pretty screenshots of vast MMORPGs with players teabagging each other and being totally out of character, apparently for the lack of knowing what "in character" means in the first place. I've always felt that if you take the RP out of an RPG, what you have is a game with a theme that just happens to look more like fantasy kingdom than, say, a skateboarding park. I guess that's why I always return to UO.

Especially when it comes to the Elder Scrolls universe that has loads and loads of content... Just seems like an awful waste to reduce all that into an everything-goes superduper bros guild grind fest. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'm being a total purist and I'm quite cynical when it comes to gaming communities that are open to whoever pays the entrance fee. :geek:
Thoran

Post by Thoran »

I kind of have the same problem what Charha is talking about. Many games have come and gone for me just because of the fact that they never could satisfy the "rp" side of gaming. Now though I'm ready to hope when it comes to Pathfinder Online (https://goblinworks.com/). It is still in progress, but the playerbase consists mostly of tabletop rpg gamers, some mmo gamers and quite a tonful of old UO players. It might be that a playerbase that would be 100% committed to rp is quite impossible these days, as that kind of gaming isnt for everyone, some just want to... game. But currently this seems to be the most promising mmo with alot of rp-oriented people waiting for it's release.
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

lolled at "wtf lag" comment :D Im afraid that I'll quit ESO pretty soon after the launch, since I'm 100% the playerbase is exactly the same as in diablo 3 or WoW, or worst of all, League of Legends. Playerbase makes half the game in mmorpgs.
Arden Darkfall

Post by Arden Darkfall »

Elder Scrolls games overall have a great atmosphere, but those are single player. Unfortunately, online RPG games are crowded with players that have no interest whatsoever in roleplaying, but rather in the hack n slash process of the game, tending to overlook the fantasy environment, and just being themselves.