Archer or Ranger?

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Archer or Ranger?

Archer
61%
Ranger
39%

Total votes: 38

Glarundis

Re: Archer or Ranger?

Post by Glarundis »

i still think archers are better.
even if rangers can bless themselves well with 40 piety and stuff, archers have more tactics and poisoning.
not only that, archers have more statcap, which i think makes the difference. archers have the best statcap imo, considering the skills they need to use.
ranger, even if their statcap was boosted, i think they should still have +5 or something. even if they can bless themselves, they use str for sms and dex for archery, they need it to be decent, and they need int aswell, for their rites.

so if you have a religious ranger with say 30 int to cast bless, you'll get just slightly better than the archer (but still with not more dex)

i think until we have full drylooting, archers being able to use deadly poisons on their spears will make them very strong. without a cloth, i'd say ranger perhaps
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Boris wrote:Yet it's still a matter taste.

Poisoning vs. Piety
Fencing vs. SMS
Tactics vs. Full plates
+10 statscap vs. +5 str
??? vs. Tracking

There's no straight answer.

- Boris
SMS + bless + poisoning(40) = poisoning(85) + spear
tactics + archer suit > blesses + plate suit
+10 statcap < religion boost + 5str
none < tracking
archery < archery + blesses

this would be more accurate

All depends on religion or not. Choose your way to play once again religion has taken the win.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Do poisoning effekt how successful you are on poisoning a target or what? If not then you could just get one to poisoning your arrows?
Glarundis

Post by Glarundis »

poisoning affects how successful you are at poisoning something, how often you hit someone with it, and how strong is the poison (with more poisoning skill you can use strong poison too). afaik using a poisoned weapon from someone else won't give you poison if you don't have poisoning (unless it was poisoned by someone with 100 base poisoning (confirm this, darion :P)) but i'm not sure about arrows, i think you can buy and use poisoned arrows as a ranger (40 poisoning) and have them be as good as when you're an archer (85 poisoning) but i have no idea if it's like that
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Glarundis wrote:poisoning affects how successful you are at poisoning something, how often you hit someone with it, and how strong is the poison (with more poisoning skill you can use strong poison too). afaik using a poisoned weapon from someone else won't give you poison if you don't have poisoning (unless it was poisoned by someone with 100 base poisoning (confirm this, darion :P)) but i'm not sure about arrows, i think you can buy and use poisoned arrows as a ranger (40 poisoning) and have them be as good as when you're an archer (85 poisoning) but i have no idea if it's like that
Even if it aint blessing the bow will make it better than 85 poisoning.
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

How poisoning works is complicated, but lets say if I had a Ranger, I would buy greater poisoned arrows and bolts from others. I would also buy services from a high skilled poisoner, to poison my weapons.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Normal poisoned arrows did a fine job in the old times for me, i was able to do it myself with 50 poisoning - yeah, a kickass failrate but doable. The poisoned ammo is a great advantage for a ranger. The better poisoned ammo the better.

PS; Dont forget Rangers also get 85 AL, and 85 AL = 15 petslots
Spectral drake = 14 petslots.

*hint hint hint*
Elisabeth

Post by Elisabeth »

Archer gets AL also
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

I'd also say Rangers take much more time compared to Archers.

In a way, it's kind of like comparing Archers and Assasins. At the first Archers are clearly better, but with time Assasins catch up with Archers. Also, how you play the class has a big factor. Again as an example, I'll throw out Assasins. Either you don't know how to play them and you suck ass - or - you do and you realize their potential. Sometimes you just need some brainwork to realize how classes work.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Arion

Post by Arion »

I'd say the only downfall to playing a ranger is the 85 tactics. Poisoned arrow wise I seem to do the same with my ranger as any archer would with greater poisoned arrows. The hardest part to playing ranger is figuring out your stats as you need some int to cast rites str for sms and yea dex for archery but all in all I'd say they are pretty damn close to equal classes.