New topic discussion

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Vaux27

Re: New topic discussion

Post by Vaux27 »

Ares wrote:
Vaux27 wrote:Just accept the system as is fellas, only getting troll answers anyway.
Stop being such a whiner Vaux. Wft is it with you? We're discussing the issues with you guys, and are even going beyond that. Calling us trolls, is just a you being a jerk.

This was decided earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12531&p=114213#p114213

I'm not trying to be a jerk man, I felt you guys were trolling on a serious issue. I have a sense of humor like the rest of you, but it was a big decision to start up the taxes without notification or warning.

I appreciate everyone's work and it's never personal or anything when I'm discussing things here, I was just giving my opinion on the matter when it comes to our veteran player base. I'm obviously very loyal to Pangaea and I just didn't want this system to end up being a negative in it's early stages.

And thank you for the reset for 2 months, that must be noted.
632-140-419
Percy

Post by Percy »

Missed out on a perfect quest opportunity there...
Kill the tax man and have 2 month extra, fail and the tax man is coming for your ass asap!
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Shednil

Post by Shednil »

Ares wrote: The houses out of town zones will keep the 1% tax rate for now. We've been debating this as well, and are undecided.. Boris is for 0 tax, I'm for 1%. Call it a maintenance fee or whatever. I'm just worried that if we make houses outside of towns free, they'll become much more desirable than living in a city.
I belive that should be an option for those houses in the middle of nowhere with no lights or roads to have 0 taxes but instead try to make the upgrades in cities more desirable.
I can think of plenty of things the taxes can be spent on.

I think it would be good to have maintenance things in the bigger cities such as lights and roads.
Upgrade guards with more damage/health
Archer guards
Battlemage guards ( With alot higher maintenance )
Cheaper to buy goods in the city for its citizens
Faster restock for the vendors in the city
Banners and flags to place by the roads and on buildings. Maybe with the color of the guild owning the city.
Benches, flowers, tables, anvils, ovens, fountains, hitching posts, lamps, shields, statues and so on. Which can be colored for a price.
Increased defense, Longer siege time ( I also think there should be a way to make the siege faster for the attacker. Maybe bring a cannon or other siege weapon to the city stone )
A town crier to spread news and propaganda of the guild owning the city, maybe some lines decided from the leader in the guild owning it and some lines from the mayor of the city.
A very expensive special regeant vendor that sells just to the cities citizens
Portal vendor
Extra normal vendors
Special colored clothes for the citizens to proudly show which city they belong to
Town defense training to increase the damage the citizens deal to the enemies attacking their home or simply increase the armor citizens have in and around their city

I think you should try include as many houses as possible with this system aswell as add more town stones to the smaller villages there is out there.

Oh, and it would be fun if normal guilds also would be able to take over cities and just not religions but that is somthing for later.
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Shednil wrote: I believe that should be an option for those houses in the middle of nowhere with no lights or roads to have 0 taxes but instead try to make the upgrades in cities more desirable.
I can think of plenty of things the taxes can be spent on.

I think it would be good to have maintenance things in the bigger cities such as lights and roads.
Upgrade guards with more damage/health
Archer guards
Battlemage guards ( With alot higher maintenance )
Cheaper to buy goods in the city for its citizens
Faster restock for the vendors in the city
Banners and flags to place by the roads and on buildings. Maybe with the color of the guild owning the city.
Benches, flowers, tables, anvils, ovens, fountains, hitching posts, lamps, shields, statues and so on. Which can be colored for a price.
Increased defense, Longer siege time ( I also think there should be a way to make the siege faster for the attacker. Maybe bring a cannon or other siege weapon to the city stone )
A town crier to spread news and propaganda of the guild owning the city, maybe some lines decided from the leader in the guild owning it and some lines from the mayor of the city.
A very expensive special regeant vendor that sells just to the cities citizens
Portal vendor
Extra normal vendors
Special colored clothes for the citizens to proudly show which city they belong to
Town defense training to increase the damage the citizens deal to the enemies attacking their home or simply increase the armor citizens have in and around their city

I think you should try include as many houses as possible with this system aswell as add more town stones to the smaller villages there is out there.

Oh, and it would be fun if normal guilds also would be able to take over cities and just not religions but that is something for later.
Many of these we're already discussing, but some of them are new. Copied to GM forums. Thanks!

The issue with out-of-town houses is that if we put them all to zero tax rate, it means that owners can easily hold onto them forever, leaving nothing available for new rogue-like characters. We'll figure out something.
Cruxis Bane

Post by Cruxis Bane »

no one stays robber forever... and with everything you are making for in town people that should be enough to draw them. The out of town people shouldn't have to suffer because of the mayor system is what I am saying, not a complaint sorry if seemed rude or what not just seems pointless to charge any kind of fee because someone who lives out in ruins or outposts obviously has no intention of abiding by any kind of rules.
Basil Brotheamus

Post by Basil Brotheamus »

I don't think there should be taxes for the peeps who live outside the towns (or should be very low). Their lack of NPC's, higher prices for town NPC's (if not citizen), lack of guards, lack of other people etc already is a price enough to pay. If the attraction to tax-free houses is greater than the benefits of paying taxes and getting perks in return, then the system is not working as intended. Boost the perks, give something what makes people want to pay the taxes and live in towns, and you have the problem solved.
Ranokan

Post by Ranokan »

Or simply do not allow 3 months refresh option for those living outside towns. But definitely I think also those shouldn't have to pay taxes since it makes no RP sense.
Vaux27

Post by Vaux27 »

The only problem for the non taxes outside of towns, my fields are out of town. I understand the taxing of fields, even though I own them but I digress. How are they suppose to script all of this to avoid just houses and not fields?
632-140-419
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Vaux27 wrote:The only problem for the non taxes outside of towns, my fields are out of town. I understand the taxing of fields, even though I own them but I digress. How are they suppose to script all of this to avoid just houses and not fields?
Easy. Manually add no-tax or the responsible townstone to each individual house sign. Would take about 15 mins to cover the world.

Not saying we've decided definitively what we're doing, but there are options.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

houses are different then fields I believe, it says it on the sign so if housing type equals field, then boom tax em if not do not tax them.

Personally in fairness I think though houses are outside the jurisdiction of Matthew the local tax collector, there ought to be taxes on them. I find it completely obnoxious and ridiculous that people have been able to up til now sit on their houses without any penalty logging in 1 every three months to refresh them, that being said, if I decide I want to move a character to a more secluded home because I want to toy around with robbing people (hah! fat chance I know) that because these select few don't have to pay taxes they can keep their house indefinitely. Plus, think about it, if people living outside the borders of a town are usually murderers, thieves and other treacherous brigands you're rewarding the criminal aspect of the player base by saying you get a free pass on house taxes.

Seriously folks, it's 1% of your house's value a month, I don't see why we need to introduce loopholes into the system just because someone doesn't live within the borders of a city. If you're looking for an RP reason, look no further then the upkeep of the king's highways that run between Britain, Cove, Yew, Minoc and New Haven. That dirt has to stay on those roads somehow.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman