New topic discussion

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Cyrus Tegyr

Re: New topic discussion

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Cruxis Bane wrote:The point callum is who do those that have houses outside of towns pay taxes to?
Well I understand the point, my concern was/is that there would be a permanency in owning a house if it is outside the town zone, cause hell, I would buy one in a heart beat if I didn't have to refresh it. Putting red or criminality of a character aside, ultimately when it comes down to it, the ownership of a house ought not be permanent whether or not you want to argue it is safe to live within a city and much more dangerous to live outside a city.

The only other way I could see a better system than taxing those houses and their owners who live outside the protection of the town guards is perhaps a system where you are not taxed for gold but instead you must have an online time of X hours a month before you can refresh your house. I do not necessarily think upping the house value of those houses is the answer either, I think the goal of the tax system, among other things is to put a stop to the permanency involved in owning a house.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Johnny Walac

Post by Johnny Walac »

I take it this is still somewhat the Mayor System you are working towards? If not. What changes etc?
Monad wrote:Updated: 17.1.2013

CITIZENSHIP, MAYOR AND FACTION SYSTEM (PANGAEA – 2013)

1. FACTIONS

Factions are political areas in game which are tied to towns, citizenship and mayorship system. Factions are designed for and ran by non-religious players, however religion members can join as the citizens like anyone else. Point of the system is to improve the political aspects and strenght in the game by giving more power to the regular citizens and the mayors to decide their town affairs through voting, town perks and decision making.
  • • Kingdom of the Lord Blackthorn
    • Kingdom of the Lord British
    • Neutral towns
    • Yew (closed, available only to Order of Nature)
    • Wind (closed, available only to Cult of Tekstone)
All players starts off as a non-citizen. Being a citizen to any of these faction towns doesn’t put you automatically to war with anyone and let’s you walk freely everywhere, but only if you join the militia you will be in war with the opposing towns/faction. Being a citizen of the Blackthorn faction town for example, you can still walk freely in all other faction towns aswell, but you don’t receive the same perks from vendors or protection from guards as in your own faction towns. From the citizens of the town a mayor is voted each month to control the different duties of the town.
cod.png
2. TOWNS AND CITIZENSHIP

You can become a citizen only of the guarded towns which are under the faction banner.
In each of these towns locates a town stone. Double click the stone and select I wish to become a citizen of <town name>. Note that becoming a citizen of the town also declares your loyalty to the designated faction which you need to agree upon. Being loyal to the faction/king doesn't mean you have to be tied to the religion of the faction in any way. Religions are just part of the faction, just like citizens and militia will be. You can revoke your citizenship by selecting "I wish to revoke my citizenship" from the town stone, after that you need to wait 48 before declaring citizenship to another town.

Clicking a townstone will open a menu showing the following specifics:
  • • Total population of the town
    • Current mayor of the town
    • Total population of the faction
    • The selected perks for the citizens
    • Number of elite guards
    • War and ally state
    • Size of the town militia
    • Size of the faction militia
    • Citizen loyalty % towards the mayor
    • Citizen loyalty % towards the faction
  • 2.1 CITIZENSHIP BONUSES
    • • Ability to vote and become a mayor
      • Ability to join the militia
      • Ability to buy special items available only to the citizens
      • ideas needed
      • idead needed

• Reduced cost of goods from vendors
      • Receive full protection from the town guards (protect you from attacks inside the guard area + resurrects you)
      • Town guards of the different city but same faction will protect you from the attacks inside the guard area but only your home town guards will resurrect you aswell
      • Opposing faction town guards won't protect you if someone attacks you inside the guard area but won't attack either (unless you're a member of the militia)
      • Ability to wear the unique citizenship cloak
  • 2.2 TOWN SIEGES

Converting the faction of a town can happen in two ways:
    • 1. Mayor launched 'siege' from the town stone (political)
      • If the faction loyalty is more than 50% the siege cannot be launched
      • If the mayor loyalty is less than 50% the siege cannot be launched
      • If the faction loyalty is 0%, the siege cannot be overturned
      2. Religion forced/organized siege
      • If the faction loyalty is 100% the siege cannot be launched
      • If the faction loyalty is more than 50% the citizens can end the siege
      • If the mayor loyalty is more than 50% the mayor can end the siege
      Applies to both:
      • The faction religion members can end the siege in their faction towns in all cases (unless the faction loyalty is 0% in the specific town) because they cannot change their faction
      • The more the faction loyalty % of the town is, the harder and longer it is to siege
    If an opposing faction religion succesfully siege the town you're in as citizen, militia or mayor the following situation takes place:
    • Citizens will be given choice to change loyalty to the new ruling faction without penalty (normal 48 hour delay applies).
      Militia will be given choice to change loyalty to the new ruling faction but they face 48 hour exile together with the delay from the town in question.
      Mayor will be automatically kicked off the spot (unless he have launched a vote for the faction change from the town stone before the siege) and exiled from the town for 48 hours but given a possibility to change loyalty to the current faction. New vote for the mayor will be put in place.
3. MILITIA

Citizens of the town can join the town militia, which automatically puts you in war with the opposing faction town’s militia and religion. You can join the militia by speaking the words to the Town Chancellor: I wish to join the militia of <town name>. You can also leave the militia any time you want, but there is a delay of 48 hours for it to take effect. Religion members cannot join the militia.

Joining the militia enables the following:
  • • Puts you in war with the opposing faction town militia and religion
    • Ability to wear the unique faction militia cloak
    • Enemy faction town guards will automatically attack you
    • Ability to use leadership skill to make guards follow you a short range away from the guard zone. Based on the leadership skill and militia rank.
    • Ability to receive special battle improvements within the town limit designated by the mayor, only for defense purposes
------- DEBATABLE, FEEDBACK NEEDED -------
  • 3.1 MILITIA POINT SYSTEM

Upon joining the militia player starts off with 0 points, by killing or dying to opponent militia or faction religions you gain or lose the points.

• • Each time you kill an opposing town militia or religion member you gain points
      • For every point a member loses upon death, his killer gains the same number of points
      • The range of points is from -5 to 99
      • For every 10 points above 0 a militia member have, you will lose one point upon death. Eg: 0-9 points, you lose 1 point, 10-19 points, you lose 2 points, 20-29 points, you lose 3 points etc.
      • A player may not gain points from the same victim within 20 minutes
      • A player will not lose points if they have died within the last 10 minutes to any opponent

• 3.1.2 MILITIA RANKS

Ranking is based upon the players militia point total relative to other militia members points.

Below 35% Private
      35%-55% Corporal
      56%-80% Sergeant
      81%-90% Captain
      91%-99% Colonel
      100% Commander

4. MAYORS

From each town a mayor is voted each month. If there is not enough votes to select a mayor, the town will not have mayor and the citizens don’t receive the special perks. Mayor have access to the town tax resources collected from the housing. This tax money he can spend to improve the town in different ways. Religion members cannot become mayors.

Mayor can also launch a siege to change the faction of the town to another (more about the subject in the Town Siege section). If 50% or more from the citizens are in favor of the change the siege begins on the town stone. If the siege is defended and overturn, the mayor will be overthrown from his spot and exiled from all of the faction towns for 2 weeks. For example if you're a mayor of Trinsic under Lord British faction and launch a succesful vote to change the faction to Lord Blackthorn's Kingdom, Law gets alerted and ends the "siege", you will be exiled and resignated from the Lord British faction and from all Lord British towns for two weeks. Citizens can remain in the towns.

Duties of the mayor he can improve the town with:
  • • Ability to exile players from the city
    • Launch a siege change the faction of the town (explained above)
    • Mayor can adjust the tax of the towns to his liking. More tax, the more cash he have to spend on perks.
    • Revoke citizenship of a player
    • Hire elite guards (depending on the total voting power)
    • Arcane advantage (10% increase in spell damage and 10% spell resist to the town militia within the town limits)
    • Combat advantage (10% increase in the melee damage and 10 points armor resistance the the town militia within the town limits)
    • Enable different merchant bonuses to the merchants, for example better rate at mining or harvesting and unique items to work with to improve the crafts.
    • Purchase extra vendors
    • Ability to wear the unique town mayor cloak
    • More ideas needed to different perks what mayor can choose/buy for the citizens benefit
5. ISSUES AND NOTES

- Should improve and bring an interesting aspect to the players outside the religions (mayorship and militia restricted from religions)
- Should further the housing in towns and bring players closer to each other because houses outside the towns dont have the perks of being citizen or mayor.
- Does the militia rank system encourage too much PVP? Would it be better without it?
- Any other issues?
Order of Nature - Telborea- The Britannian Trade Union - ICQ: 434212709
PvP Video 1
PvP Video 2
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

The current version doesn't have much to do with Monad's draft. The basics apply, but otherwise it's much more KISS.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Demian

Post by Demian »

Don't know if this is the right place for this but perhaps some notification system could be added to this new tax system? Was thinking that when you log on in your house you will get some message in your screen how many days is left until the house decays. I think it's necessary as with the new system, even if you have the gold, you could just simply forget to pay the taxes since house used to autorefresh for 30 if you used it no matter what. Or just have the gold be automatically withdrawn from bank to pay the taxes when the time reaches 0. Though that would make it too easy for inactive players to keep houses.
Basil Brotheamus

Post by Basil Brotheamus »

Demian wrote:Don't know if this is the right place for this but perhaps some notification system could be added to this new tax system? Was thinking that when you log on in your house you will get some message in your screen how many days is left until the house decays. I think it's necessary as with the new system, even if you have the gold, you could just simply forget to pay the taxes since house used to autorefresh for 30 if you used it no matter what. Or just have the gold be automatically withdrawn from bank to pay the taxes when the time reaches 0. Though that would make it too easy for inactive players to keep houses.
+1
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

I'm not sure if you're aware, but players are sent IG mail when their housing is about to decay. When there's 7 days (or less) left, it's being spammed on your face every 48 hours.

Perhaps that's a system that could be fine-tuned?

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

Boris wrote:I'm not sure if you're aware, but players are sent IG mail when their housing is about to decay. When there's 7 days (or less) left, it's being spammed on your face every 48 hours.
- Boris
I was thinking the same thing as I read the post.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well since I can't remember if it did this but when you pay your taxes, with the new system I don't care about the old one :D, does it auto refresh your house? Cause if it doesn't it ought to again in the event you forget to RP with your house to refresh it.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Cirius Do'Brim

Post by Cirius Do'Brim »

Yo, small bump here.

Remove taxes from Inns. Doesn't make any sense arpee-wise and not very newbie friendly.