Achievements

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Maxadinara

Re: Achievements

Post by Maxadinara »

If you have achievements on a roleplaying server than peoples characters will go out of character to gain these achievements. For exemple if there would be an achievement to become red than alot of players would becomes red and try to become blue again after. Or you gain an achievement from killing a monster in a droungon that your character wouldn't kill and soo on. Granted most players would kill that monster where if it's OOC or not for the loot/challage but I'm just trying to make examples to make a point. We already have things that makes players go OOC but i don't think we need to add more.

If you are indeed going to keep achievements can't you atlest add a way to disable it so that the players that doesn't like them can't get them?
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well achievements should be a personalized system, so no one else can view them, I believe this is the case anyways.

That being said, messages received when you gain an achievement should also be only to the person(s) that have gained that achievement not to everyone around the player.

I am on the fence with achievements and a roleplay shard, if their personal out of sight of others I am all for them, if they do not offer anything special I am all for them. I am not an achievement hound myself so I could personally care less about an achievement system, I never actively sought out achievements in WoW so I wouldn't bother in Ultima.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Percy

Post by Percy »

If an achievement system is going to be implemented and be fully functional, they should never be personal. An achievement should be a great feat something you'd want other people to see and know what you have done. Not like todays achievements on games where you finish a quest or explore a certain area.
Send any messages to this location;
635'288'825
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Percy wrote:If an achievement system is going to be implemented and be fully functional, they should never be personal. An achievement should be a great feat something you'd want other people to see and know what you have done. Not like todays achievements on games where you finish a quest or explore a certain area.
Well for a non RP shard this would work well, the reason I do not like publicly viewed achievements on an RP server for any game is for the same reason I do not much care for the in-game profile thing for your character. How does someone I just met in game know I killed Kelthor the Magnificent? I guess I just look at things too closely compared to everyone else, we have people whine that RP is near non existent when it comes to most of the player base and it is stuff like this that would promote a wide spread lack of exploring another person's RP because it is all laid out for them in some character profile or in terms of achievements, you can see the heroic deeds of others.

Now I do believe these are meant to be private, I recall reading it somewhere in the thread but that's where I stand on ever making them public.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman