Shard is down

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Glarundis

Re: Shard is down

Post by Glarundis »

Ok, if this happens, we're talking of two months :S
We need serious skill compensation for this, it's two months of macroing/hunting/whatever.
We're all still waiting and used the time to macro during these months, so it would really suck if the time was for nothing.
x10 skill gain for 2 weeks and that's still a loss considering we can't macro 24/7 and we also lost all the stuff from hunts
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

Before you all have a bitchfest, we don't know yet fully what or where we're at. The initial report is maximum, 2 month time warp, it can really only get better from there.

As for compensation, we could put our Boris hat on and say "that's Pang, bro" but we didn't and have already briefly broached the subject of dealing with skill loss.

We're going to try to handle this in the best way possible if the worst, being a 2 month time warp, occurs. All I can say is be thankful it wasn't a diaspora type event a couple of us remember from Journey's End.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

Everyone just relax, let blckfire do his thing and enjoy the holidays. If a big timewarp happens then they will figure out what to do.

Worst case scenario : "its pang bro"
Best case scenario : "okey so here are some xxx bonuses to xxx and xxx, enjoy"
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

Best backup I got it's from 06/12/2017.

But I need to recompile the shard and some files are missing. I'm working with Oden to get them into place.

I hope today or tomorrow to be back up.
Bella Pious

Post by Bella Pious »

Only concern I have would be houses’ decay timer because many players may not be updated on the current situation. Once shard is up could you either grant all property a free 90 day decay time or stop the timer for now, whichever is easier for you.
GM Oden

Post by GM Oden »

I do believe that house timers are based on system up time, so this should not be an issue at all.

As for why are we not up.

I have spent the last 10 hours working with the files. The issue as it stands now:

I have 3 files I need to fix, by fix I mean fix variable names and function names. This is not difficult on the best of cases but the three files I have left to do are going to be tedious to do get this shindig done as soon as possible, if however time gets too late (it is 0603 here right now to give you an idea of my perseverance here), I will zip up what I have (which is additional compile fixes I ran into while trying to fix these files) and some additional compile errors I had introduced by accident potentially in the last set of files I sent.

IF you are all that curious at the little bit of work I have to go through feel free to message me on skype, icq or discord and I will give you a brief summary of how tedious this is to do and it's general importance if it is not abundantly clear by screen shots. In short, and I hate to be "that guy" it'll be up when it is up, trying me best but when you have 1200+ files and need to hunt down every one that spiderwebs with one file, it becomes a real nightmare, you know, the needle in a haystack analogy is pretty appropriate here.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill
Emirien

Post by Emirien »

GM Oden wrote:I do believe that house timers are based on system up time, so this should not be an issue at all.

As for why are we not up.

I have spent the last 10 hours working with the files. The issue as it stands now:

I have 3 files I need to fix, by fix I mean fix variable names and function names. This is not difficult on the best of cases but the three files I have left to do are going to be tedious to do get this shindig done as soon as possible, if however time gets too late (it is 0603 here right now to give you an idea of my perseverance here), I will zip up what I have (which is additional compile fixes I ran into while trying to fix these files) and some additional compile errors I had introduced by accident potentially in the last set of files I sent.

IF you are all that curious at the little bit of work I have to go through feel free to message me on skype, icq or discord and I will give you a brief summary of how tedious this is to do and it's general importance if it is not abundantly clear by screen shots. In short, and I hate to be "that guy" it'll be up when it is up, trying me best but when you have 1200+ files and need to hunt down every one that spiderwebs with one file, it becomes a real nightmare, you know, the needle in a haystack analogy is pretty appropriate here.
Take your time, if people cant wait for you to un-fuck the files they need a hobby.
-Eric Shadowblade

688 831 885
-Brit
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

So, as Oden said, he has worked on some files and I have received them.

I'll try to put the server up tomorrow evening to late night. I'll start working on it tomorrow around 21:00 GMT+1 and I hope it won't take more than a couple of hours. I could be wrong though...
blckfire
Scripter

Post by blckfire »

About to stop the work for today.

We're moving forward but did not had this idea that the code of Pangaea was so heavily damaged.

Like I said we were trying to recover some files that were missing. So far, I've been able to compile most scripts I've come accross. Some other scripts have some reference issues and some others needed functions that were not present in the current version of the code.

I was able to locate the missing code or re-write the bits necessary for the code to compile, we'll see what impacts it will have when the server is live. But I don't expect problems.

This clean up was actually necessary so that we can also move forward with our project, since we now have access to 100% of the code.

I hope I can have things setup tomorrow so that we can have nice holidays ;)

P.S.:So far I've debugged 15% of Pangaea's codebase, and most of my time was lost recovering bits of code that were lost. So, tomorrow the work should flow faster.
Zendrick

Post by Zendrick »

Thanks for all the hard work guys! I’m excited to get playing again. Been a long week!
Enkidu Gorwraith-Voice of the People