For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Maximilian Lhoth

Myths about game mechanics

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

List of annoying myths about Pangaea game mechanics, and their status:

- Phoenix bones offer only high physical resistance

- The loot inside locked chests decays with time
Status: probably false, a grandmaster picker has randomly opened old and new chests and told that old ones were actually better, so it doesn't seem to matter

- Mage's summons are longer lasting or better than druid's or necro's for example
Status: false, whatever your eval int is, fire elly lasts 2:30 (for example)

- Fire heals (non-frost) drakes
Status: false, fire elementals (or fire based dragons) are a great way to kill a drake. Kal Vas Flam would also kill them.

- There is no way to protect you from religion paralyze except quaffing a poison potion

- Malediction doesn't cause permanent skilldrop anymore

- You cannot use recall or gate to Malas
Status: false, spellcasters who are members of Imperial can mark, recall and gate to everywhere including Malas, also others can use runes marked by them for that purpose

- Auropian is just the same as vampire bone
Status: false, auropian gives 5 and vampire bone gives 4 to all resists

- Mauler types cannot solo white dragons
Status: false, they need just right timing to avoid the breath

- Higher intelligence helps magic user to train meditation faster

- For elemental resistance it doesn't matter if you have 48 or 40, it's the same. You need full 10's to get a boost.

- AR also affects elemental resistance

- Smithes are better for mining than cooks, even though the skill is 100 for both.

- Keltrunius weapon is good for fighting religious characters (priest mostly)
Status: I think it is true, keltrunius weapon is said to surpasses religion blesses (at least armament)

- Fire giant hide resists fire better than titan, even though the statusbar shows the same resist, there is a hidden extra

- You can copy housekeys from others' backpack with only snooping - stealing skill is not needed to do that

More plx!
Esmeralda

Re: Myths about game mechanics

Post by Esmeralda »

Maximilian Lhoth wrote: - The loot inside locked chests decays with time
Status: probably false, a grandmaster picker has randomly opened old and new chests and told that old ones were actually better, so it doesn't seem to matter
My memory might trick me, but i think Raven once complained about a decay timer and Reppy said there are "many levels of chest loot" and it starts decay after 30 mins for a maximum of 3 levels - which is not much. So your chest won´t drop from 10k gold to 400, not even 5k but maybe 9500.

Either way, it is impossible to verify or falsify this, only the script might reveal if the current admins find the script. Not 10 grandmaster picker can clear up this myth, as you don´t know what was inside before. Seems logic, no? :geek

Myth: You gain faster when starving
stating the obnoxious
Gorath Blackmind

Post by Gorath Blackmind »

- Higher intelligence helps magic user to train meditation faster

I think thats both intelligence and meditation. For instance, even if you have 120 base int you still get only 3-5 mana each tick if you meditation skill is like 40 or less.
Houston

Post by Houston »

- Mauler types cannot solo white dragons
Status: false, they need just right timing to avoid the breath

You are almost correct on that one.
When the dragon is 'fleeing' from you OR when the dragon is out of your screen, the breath wont catch your stamina to 0.
If i remember correct, i have whacked few whites without refresh potions but when they breath you out of your screen, they drain only as much stamina so you will have 30% left, or they breath none at all, im still unsure on that one of how much they take when they are out of your screen.

PS; I hate to kill white the most, since i never got refresh potions with me and their physical hit is the strongest from all dragons, atleast with my AR.

Physical hit + cold damage ~100 dmg (so the physical hit alone does around 70-90 dmg)
Ancient however has 60-80 in physical hit + add fire +30 and cold +30 which does the damage go up to 120, sometimes even 160 (when its ancient2 they also have another ele. type in their hit).

- Smithes are better for mining than cooks, even though the skill is 100 for both.

Blacksmithy affects mining rate, thus means that they mine ores faster/in bigger quantities.

- Mage's summons are longer lasting or better than druid's or necro's for example
Status: false, whatever your eval int is, fire elly lasts 2:30 (for example)
Indeed, i havent noticed any difference in mage/necro/druid summons. But other than that i would like to see mages being able to summon multiple daemons at a time AND be able to control them, since IF you summon more than one daemon, they suddenly dispell/kill eachother. - Makes no sence to me, eval int SHOULD be able to control them (when you are already able to summon them, doh?)
Malron

Post by Malron »

- Smiths are better for mining than cooks, even though the skill is 100 for both.

I have gmed a smith and pushed a cook's mining to 80+, there is no difference in failures, gains, or amount mined. Mining skill is just that, mining skill. "Blacksmithy and perhaps arms lore affect this?" No one has tested this accurately, a 5 min quick test with ur bud on a rare vein is not an accurate test.

I notice a lot of the mechanic myths come when people think a second or a third skill is calculated into another skills attempt at succeeding or failure. You just are unlucky, the chaos theory of the world is currently against you.

To completely test and disprove this theory would take hours and hours of mining and data analyzing. Not just a smith and a cook mining the same vein and counting their ores at the end lol. Totally innacurate.

Smiths are better at mining because they can actually clear critters from the vein locations. Not because they have arms lore or blacksmithy boosting their mining skills :)
Jam Rave

Post by Jam Rave »

-Dragons in dundeon gives better loot then on island
Maximilian Lhoth

Post by Maximilian Lhoth »

Smiths are better at mining because they can actually clear critters from the vein locations. Not because they have arms lore or blacksmithy boosting their mining skills
Repsak said smith mining is more effective than cook mining. Didn't explain how.
Houston

Post by Houston »

Jam Rave wrote:-Dragons in dundeon gives better loot then on island

That concerns all the mobs in dungeons.

All mobs give 1.5x better loots in dungeons than in the mainlands.
Malron

Post by Malron »

What Repsak meant and failed to elaborate on I am sure is exactly what I said. A cook cannot mine "better" then a smith because of their lack of skills to do such.

Had he been more specific or felt more explanation needed he would have clarified.
Kent Strider

Post by Kent Strider »

Mining hasn't been touched since Journey's End...lol