Town Siege

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Demian

Re: Town Siege

Post by Demian »

Is there need to rp an attack during a siege? If like say Imperial would be attacking a law town and have casted the rite on the town stone already, it's quite easy for us to go there unnoticedly, cast a 8 chant rite and the town is ours again while they try to rp.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Demian wrote:Is there need to rp an attack during a siege? If like say Imperial would be attacking a law town and have casted the rite on the town stone already, it's quite easy for us to go there unnoticedly, cast a 8 chant rite and the town is ours again while they try to rp.
The siege itself is the RP already. It's pretty obvious what their intentions are if they have killed Law guards to get to the stone and then started to convert the guards. The idea is that the stone remains guarded all the time during the siege, or at least it's wise to do so.
xHarlequinx

Post by xHarlequinx »

My only concern is like Darian's. I'd like to see it require more than just 60 piety (so that it requires at least two people from the opposition). But it's just a test, so we can see how it goes.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

xHarlequinx wrote:My only concern is like Darian's. I'd like to see it require more than just 60 piety (so that it requires at least two people from the opposition). But it's just a test, so we can see how it goes.
I don't think it will become a problem. It does require two peeps in most cases. 60 piety have only 4 players, 1 for each religion on the entire shard (HP's).
If HP logs in during a siege, if he's the only player of the defending religion online during the time and if he somehow manage to break the defense of the sieging party alone, then he should be able to defend the town on his own aswell. It's not that easy.

But yes, we're all wiser after some few real attempts of takeovers.
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

That's a lot of Ifs. Granted, the siege time is pretty short so if we time the attack correctly, if the enemy HP is fast asleep, if he is at work, if he is drunk or somehow otherwise occupied we have a real chance of succesfully taking over the town. See, this was a lot of If's as well. This is also a bad design when failure depends a lot on one guy either being online or offline.

A fact is when and if enemies come to defend the town, the HP is often with them... even if not from the start, he will join in at some point. The past days we've fought against Nature or both Nature and Law, the HPs of all three religions have always been there. It's actually pretty rare to fight against a religion without its HP being there since the HP is often one of the most active players. This is, at least if we play during the "normal hours".

You're right Monad and of course the HP all alone can't break the siege. If he rushes to the stone and start to cast a ritual that takes 8 chants, he is killed while casting it. That wasn't the problem. My problem is that it takes them 4-5 priests with veritas to break it. Take a few Natures with Law and they easily have 5-8 players, they can even wear radlius and take a "risk" by everyone rushing to the stone with nothing to lose, everyone cast veritas and no matter what we do we must run from the stone or die to 5-6 simultaneous veritas hits (5x45 is 225 damage) in 3 seconds. And no, we can't cast immolation because it takes longer to cast and isn't solid. Last time I did Immolation I killed zero enemy, only myself. This is a fact. I've been a victim of these kind of rush tactics many times before. And now, once they are by the stone, they keep casting veritas while one guy cast guards. While guards are there the HP breaks the siege. It takes them 5-10 minutes to break it.

Imperial can fight against it simply because they have veritas as well so they can keep spamming it by the stone and thus prevent Law/Nature rushing in. Same thing if Law/Nature try to take over Imperial town. Sadly this kind of forces Tekstone to be the only religion that have to fight at night time when no one is online. Which is the only reason why I dislike this system. This forces us to stay online 5-10 hours straight during night time/morning hoping that our enemy can't pull 5-6 priests together at the last hour. If they do, we're screwed. I would rather have fun during the day time/evening (I sleep at night and go to work at morning like most of us) when there are MOST of my enemies online... this also ensures most fun and activity for everyone. Being the only players online for 8 hours straight is not fun. Fighting for 8 hours straigth is a whole different story.

Monad it isn't a common problem, it's a Tekstone problem. The three other religions can fight against each other and stand their ground but for Tekstone such attempt is doomed due to the sole reason of Veritas. This isn't a whine, this is a fact.

My solution to improve the siege would be the following: Imperial cast siege on a stone and keep the town for 5 hours before Law forces them back. After this Law manages to cast siege on the stone, but instead of breaking the siege immediately, Law will now have to convert all the guards back. However, being the defending side converting the guards is twice as fast. Meaning they will have to stay there for 2.5 hours trying to fight Imperial's attempts to re-capture the stone. If after 1 hour Imperial manages to push Law back and re-cast siege, they will continue converting the guards, although they've now lost 12 guards during the one hour Law held it and have to re-convert them as well. This way the siege can go on for 10 hours, or if one side "fails" at the end, they can try to re-capture it without being forced to start from the beginning. In theory the siege could last for even days if neither side give up, if neither side can convert or take back all the guards, but it won't completely nullify the other side's work. (This and veritas to Tekstone so we too can join the fun)
Ares

Post by Ares »

Fucks sake Darian.. Would it kill you to summarize once in a while?
Darian Darkmind

Post by Darian Darkmind »

It's my version of summarized. Enjoy. :)
Boris
Admin

Post by Boris »

Continue about the siege system. Veritas whine will just lock up your account.

- Boris
Leather armor is best for sneaking, because it's literally made from hide.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Removed Darian's and Zaradon's last two replies to keep this clean of the same ol'shit.
xHarlequinx

Post by xHarlequinx »

It is true that sieging relies almost exclusively on holding a small piece territory (the area around the stone), and nothing can hold territory like veritas/guards.

Few thoughts.
- Make the immediate area around the stone a no-cast zone.
- Make 2-3 stones, depending on the size of the town. Either of which could be used to reset the siege.

Question. If Imperial is taking a city over from Law, and then Tek breaks the siege. Does that immediate start Tekstone taking over the city?

Also, screw neutral cities!