Swearwords and slang IG

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Simmo

Re: Swearwords and slang IG

Post by Simmo »

Cruxis Bane wrote:The main issue I see with these words is that people dont use them the way they would have been used which thus hurts roleplay. Maturity levels cause issues and getting mad and laziness thus it should just be taken away to try to improve the roleplay community. Want to say all these lovely cuss words go to an no rp pk shard and have your fill of random fuck,shit,damn,bitch,etc....
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/damn , im not native so i have no clue whenever this word was taken in use.
Kerbal

Post by Kerbal »

Scandalous wench!

I do agree with the OP but I would like to see some common sense with it as well. One of my characters RP isn't actually 13th century so I might get the treatment if this will be followed to the dot.
Ares

Post by Ares »

Man, didn't expect you guys to be so passionate about it.

Of course it depends on the situation, and of course there's leniency involved. But seeing a HP exclaiming "shiiiiit", or a priest shouting pussy because he couldn't get a victim to leave his house to kill him is not ok in my book,

I think we should aim higher

I am even willing to assert some authority in this matter. Dont fucking swear you cunts!
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Ares wrote:Man, didn't expect you guys to be so passionate about it.

Of course it depends on the situation, and of course there's leniency involved. But seeing a HP exclaiming "shiiiiit", or a priest shouting pussy because he couldn't get a victim to leave his house to kill him is not ok in my book,

I think we should aim higher

I am even willing to assert some authority in this matter. Dont fucking swear you cunts!
I would say that you are correct in that case then. There are many other ways to call somebody afraid: coward, little boy, sham of a man, etc. Being creative with the use of Medieval vernacular is half the fun immho.
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

Just a reminder that not everyone is a native English user here.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Ares, chill down.

We're trying our best, but to keep up the roleplay thrill we need some motivation by the staff to keep the RP on the level you want.
Its not only about us and it's not like RP will change or create something new.

We're lacking of the GM made RP events/quests and thus the result of the weak RP.

And no, i am no way going to be perfect in "old style english" and i pretty much diserve millions of piety drops because i merged "Hey-ho" into "Yo"

And as maybe someone already mentoined, not every player here is from UK...
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Jyrgen wrote:Just a reminder that not everyone is a native English user here.
Everybody has access to the internet if they're playing. To assert that because they are not native English speakers and they cannot type google translate in a search engine and research / translate a word and / or sentence for their use IG screams faux pas. I empathize with some that are not born speaking English but there are tools available to take advantage of. We're not talking long sentences either man, just simple words. Most of us who play know there are not native English players, we make room for them and help them along.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Most of my english skills came from Pangaea along all the years.

And yes, i do even use the engines to bypass any restrictions when i get cornered in the language.
Jyrgen

Post by Jyrgen »

I honestly think google translator doesn't give you the eloquence to swear in 10+ different cool ways in English. Then again, maybe it's just my problem. Translating a word is one thing, but being eloquent really needs some English skills, not just dictionary. Maybe it's hard for you to see it though, cause you're a native English speaker, Tyrion. And not everyone is gifted with zomgish language abilities.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Ares wrote:Yo, shit, fuck, cunt, pussy etc.
I don't think it would be fair to assume everybody should recite old English akin to a play produced by Shakespeare but nobody is making that claim. Single words to replace the ones above can be researched and a suitable alternative can be found. Articulation and delivery is another topic completely.