Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9.2

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Darian Darkmind

Re: Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.8

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Jyrgen wrote:But yes, I agree with the last part of your post, that the siege system itself would somewhat fuck up the mayor system. So yes, either the "conqueror elects new mayor" OR some other system would probably be needed. However, conquering a city does actually NOT change the ownership of the houses. So, even when you conquer a city, it's only logical that the old citizens might not approve it.

Also, I guess there should maybe be some kind of limits to removing citizenship, or else we might see people just staying in power for eternity, cause they just remove citizenship from everyone who might oppose them.
Finally you're starting to see the problem.

Yeah, it doesn't change the ownership of the house, but once conquered, it is a must a new mayor is forced by the conqueror. The new mayor can then exile all old enemies. In fact, a wise mayor would actually revoke all citizenships and make everyone re-apply to make sure no spies are given the power to vote. So if Law sieges Minoc, they can choose a mayor who exiles all Imperials and Imperial allies. The houses remain there, but the people living in those houses might not be able to vote and as such the town and the mayor stays loyal to Lord British. At first there might only be few citizens, but slowly it grows to full Law town. And that's how it should work as well, a succesful siege is just the first step for taking over a town. After that you have to get rid of the resistance and spies inside the town, get rid of the old goverment, win the hearts of the people and make it your own town.

Yeah I also realized the problem that once a mayor is elected, he can keep revoking citizenship from those opposing him and thus hold his seat for eternity. It's a problem, but it's also part of the game. He can be a tyrant if he so chooses to, but people don't really like him very much and might help an opposing religion to siege the town - and thus force a new mayor. I say let's deal with it in game.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I tried to stay away but I can't help myself.

For things the mayor can buy:
MERCHANTS (These are perks for merchants who are citizens):
Mining Bonus : Increased ore resources gathered for citizens.
Lumberjack Bonus : Increased wood resources gathered for citizens.
Fishing Bonus : Increased fish resources gathered for citizens.
Resourcefulness : Material decrease for items crafted. (perhaps a random chance every item that is crafted.)
Diligent Merchant : Decreases the time it takes to craft items.

TOWN DEFENSES
Watchful Guards : Decreases chance of successful attempt to steal for thieves.

----
I noticed one other person mentioned something about merchant characters, made me so happy because well with the current draft they get nothing out of it, so I wrote down a few good solid ideas that could be added to the list of things the mayor can buy for their merchants. I have written down something to improve guards slightly as well, an increased chance of catching thieves at their game. While thieving is not such a huge problem now it might be nice to have a system in place to increase guards awareness of it.

Many of these ideas are not my own but come from another shard that is well populated and has a solid mayor/citizenship system in place: http://relpor.com/systems/citizenship/c ... ip-bonuses
Perhaps more ideas can be dredged up there, I just mainly wanted to focus on things that could be done for the merchant classes since I don't want to see them get left in the dust.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

Callum O'Lyre wrote:I tried to stay away but I can't help myself.

For things the mayor can buy:
MERCHANTS (These are perks for merchants who are citizens):
Mining Bonus : Increased ore resources gathered for citizens.
Lumberjack Bonus : Increased wood resources gathered for citizens.
Fishing Bonus : Increased fish resources gathered for citizens.
Resourcefulness : Material decrease for items crafted. (perhaps a random chance every item that is crafted.)
Diligent Merchant : Decreases the time it takes to craft items.

TOWN DEFENSES
Watchful Guards : Decreases chance of successful attempt to steal for thieves.

----
I noticed one other person mentioned something about merchant characters, made me so happy because well with the current draft they get nothing out of it, so I wrote down a few good solid ideas that could be added to the list of things the mayor can buy for their merchants. I have written down something to improve guards slightly as well, an increased chance of catching thieves at their game. While thieving is not such a huge problem now it might be nice to have a system in place to increase guards awareness of it.

Many of these ideas are not my own but come from another shard that is well populated and has a solid mayor/citizenship system in place: http://relpor.com/systems/citizenship/c ... ip-bonuses
Perhaps more ideas can be dredged up there, I just mainly wanted to focus on things that could be done for the merchant classes since I don't want to see them get left in the dust.
Good idea with the merchants. I'll update he draft when I get a bit more time. I'm pretty busy this week. And yeah, I took lot of ideas from that same shard aswell, for example the militia system, they have thought the system out pretty well.
Tyrion

Post by Tyrion »

Monad wrote:2.1 CITIZENSHIP BONUSES
  • • Ability to vote and become a mayor
    • Ability to join the militia
    • Ability to buy special items available only to the citizens
Add a bonus of +1 or +2 to being a merchant citizen loyal to Lord Blackthorne (increase the timer to switch allegiances accordingly, maybe 1 week so that abuse does not occur).

Change Imperials blessing rite to add an additional bonus (+1 to +3) for merchants that have remained loyal to Blackthorne for XXX days and/or remove the rite entirely and replace with another (see Imperial Forums - Rite Replacement, for further details).

Edit: At any point with the scripting of this system, will there be a connection to account OR is there only a character connection?
Monad
Game Master

Re: Mayor/citizenship/faction system draft v0.9

Post by Monad »

Updated based on the input given here and some of my own:

- Removed religion bless ability from militia
- Merchant perk ideas added to mayor functions
- Mayor can adjust the tax of the towns to his liking. More tax, the more cash he have to spend on perks.

Following added aswell:
Mayor can also launch a vote to change the faction of the town to another. If 70% or more from the citizens are in favor of the change the siege begins on the town stone and the religion + militia are alarmed. If the religion can overturn and defend the siege, the mayor will be overthrown from his spot and exiled from all of the faction towns for 2 weeks. For example if you're a mayor of Trinsic under Lord British faction and launch a succesful vote to change the faction to Lord Blackthorn's Empire, Law gets alerted and if they end the "siege", you will be exiled and resignated from the Lord British faction and from all Lord British towns for two weeks. Citizens can remain in the towns.
  • 2.2 TOWN SIEGES

If an opposing faction religion succesfully siege the town you're in as citizen, militia or mayor the following situation takes place:
    • Citizens will be given choice to change loyalty to the new ruling faction without penalty (normal 48 hour delay applies).
      Militia will be given choice to change loyalty to the new ruling faction but they face 48 hour exile together with the delay from the town in question.
      Mayor will be automatically kicked off the spot (unless he have launched a vote for the faction change from the town stone before the siege) and exiled from the town for 48 hours but given a possibility to change loyalty to the current faction. New vote for the mayor will be put in place.
Feedback more than welcome.
Darian Darkmind

Thank you.

One question though, if a mayor launches the siege, is it like a regular siege or is it "easier" for the opposing religion?

As in, if Trinsic is Law town and normally takes 14 hours to siege, if it's launched by the mayor what are the benefits of it? Does it still take 14 hours or only 7 hours? Or less? Can Law still cast guards there or is that a bonus to the attacker? There should be a clear bonus if the siege is launched by the people instead of just the regular siege.

Other than that, looks better.
Monad
Game Master

Post by Monad »

It's the same, revolution or treason shouldn't be any easier.
Darian Darkmind

Hmm, that means it makes very little difference then and is hardly worth the effort. Only difference is the mayor gets to keep his spot whereas otherwise he has to be re-voted after 48 hours.

In a normal siege the town, the mayor, the people and now even the militia will try to co-operate with the defender as much as possible to stop the siege so of course it should be hard to siege it.

However, it makes perfect sense the siege is easier if it's started by the people, because then the people are supporting the new power and their siege. It makes it hard for the old goverment to organize guard shifts etc when the town no longer co-operates with them or wants to help them... the people want to push the old goverment out, will refuse to aid them, throw rocks at them and do everything to make their lives hard. If 70% of the people are against the original owner it should make it harder for them to hold their ground. It's still possible, and to be honest, even with 50% time the revolution is very likely to be succesfully suppressed as it only takes one mistake from the attacker.

Anyway, those additions you did fixed the few problems there were, but it could still be better due to reasons stated above. This would also give a much needed edge when trying to siege those big 10+ hour towns.
Aileth

Post by Aileth »

How will it work mayor/faction system vs the religion system we have now? Wil it be overwritten or is it an addition? I'm puzzled as how they would work together.
H-Wood

Post by H-Wood »

Aileth wrote:How will it work mayor/faction system vs the religion system we have now? Wil it be overwritten or is it an addition? I'm puzzled as how they would work together.
Yeah, what if your religion attacks a town you're in the militia with an other char?
~672050279~