Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

For general discussion concerning Pangaea

Moderator: Game Masters

Shednil

Re: Your Burning Questions / FAQ Re: RunUO/Shard Update

Post by Shednil »

I did read Iktomis post a while back where he said the tentative plan was to have two religions and if that is the case it sounds like a new world to me.
Just like the possibility to change the name of every character sounds like a new world.

That is why I was wondering what the plan was regarding the story about the characters and the world they live in.
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

Well if that's the plan, then I assume it will just be viewed as a fresh start, I do not recall reading or even seeing the post by Iktomi of which you mentioned but if I had to guess it wil just be treated as a new world with new history, what that history is I do not know.

I'm hoping it isn't a two religion system, I'm hoping there will be three but with greater guild system impact so guilds and religions can coexist or battle on fairly even ground but that's for another post at another time.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Nothing is set in stone yet.

The religions won't be like they are now, that's for sure.

Forced or voluntarily name change depends a lot of which way we choose the RP of our world to go. If we go forward in time a lot, then it makes sense that all our old characters have died of old age and thus a new name is forced upon character transfer. This doesn't mean you can't be an descendant of your old character though sharing the same family name and telling stories of the heroic deeds committed by your father/mother or grandfather/grandmother.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Dawn wrote:Nothing is set in stone yet.

The religions won't be like they are now, that's for sure.
So which is it, nothing is set in stone or things will be different for sure?!

This whole thing started off strictly as a technical necessity but its looking more and more like a whole new shard with ported character skills so people won't dismiss it without even trying.
Bart Windriver

Post by Bart Windriver »

i have no questions ive been telling admins and gms from pangaea to convert to runuo since it was released its gonna solve the issues of pangaea staff finding pol scripters
Cyrus Tegyr

Post by Cyrus Tegyr »

I assume nothing is set in stone in terms of the religions because it hasn't been scripted yet but if there was one thing set in stone it would be that the staff have learned from the short comings of the religion system in its current form and will try to rectify these in the new system.

I do not necessarily thing it is a technical necessity switching to runuo, POL is still under development and we, the current Pangaea is three versions behind the current pol core, I think what this really was was an opportunity to be able to move to a platform that offers a language that is more readily known,but to say it was a technical necessity, it really isn't it's more of a convenience thing, it allows the staff to be able to go back to the drawing board and redesign shit that is flawed, broken or just down right stagnant.

Quite honestly I hope this turns into a completely new shard with hints of Pangaea (class system, religion system(though changed to level the playing field and not be such a huge part of the shard) and perhaps other little things). In the end,I think it is time to change things drastically, Pangaea has been around for a decade where some stuff that ought to have been fixed or changed long ago have either just been fixed or changed very very recently or still not at all.
The black market was a way of getting around government controls. It was a way of enabling the free market to work. It was a way of opening up, enabling people. - Milton Friedman
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Whether we go with a future world or go with a recent cataclysm is still undecided. Even if we went with a future world, it could be roleplayed that your character's name passed down through the generations, if you're really attached to it (or whatever other RP story you want to come up with).

In terms of religions, I'm still a fan of there being two religions, but religions being much much less restricted than they are now, with the main impetus for PvP conflict coming from guilds/factions.
Raegen Keenarrow

Post by Raegen Keenarrow »

Iktomi wrote:Whether we go with a future world or go with a recent cataclysm is still undecided. Even if we went with a future world, it could be roleplayed that your character's name passed down through the generations, if you're really attached to it (or whatever other RP story you want to come up with).

In terms of religions, I'm still a fan of there being two religions, but religions being much much less restricted than they are now, with the main impetus for PvP conflict coming from guilds/factions.
I can already foresee another "diaspora" just like JE had. When they lost 6 months of data. I'd vote for that. An exciting time in my gaming days. Blocking off dungeons and towns aside from one basic town. I believe JE had us start in the "Winds" town which branched out to Minoc at first. Opening quests for players to conquer. Such as gather mass quantities of materials for the reconstruction of towns. That being things like logs, ingots, sand and glass. One by one they were achieved and unlocked. Fighters having their fair fun in hunting down the demonic hordes that overwhelmed the lands. Discovering their plots. Heck even Tekstone could be involved in the plot. Dungeons were also locked by "mystical gates" that required a password to enter, which you could find hints of spread throughout the lands while others remained common sense like Covetous, Shame etc. Though we could change that. We could also hide the passwords to dungeons in a variety of quests. Doing one dungeon at a time. I just see the extensive player and staff interaction this could bring along is all.

We could also limit the amount of mining veins at first. Keeping basic stuff, leaving the most awesome ones to be found again. Possibly through quests that would lead to more nodes being spawned. Although the exact locations of these new veins would not be given to players. It would require some good thinking and running around with assay kits to fully discover them. Maybe place very small veins, where people might think they've found it. Yet the larger more "actual" veins of them are elsewhere. Maybe these smaller veins could lead a path to other veins, etc?

Of course we could do things a little differently with some good plotting. Could we have something like this happen even if the final decision is starting a new world entirely? Maybe I should have tossed this up on the ideas section instead. :S

Post by Arden Darkfall »

/DD mode on

If we're moving into the future, we might as well close the 9th circle and write down another chapter in Pang history.

/DD mode off
Iktomi

Post by Iktomi »

Qual-Kehji wrote:
Iktomi wrote:Whether we go with a future world or go with a recent cataclysm is still undecided. Even if we went with a future world, it could be roleplayed that your character's name passed down through the generations, if you're really attached to it (or whatever other RP story you want to come up with).

I can already foresee another "diaspora" just like JE had. When they lost 6 months of data. I'd vote for that. An exciting time in my gaming days. Blocking off dungeons and towns aside from one basic town. I believe JE had us start in the "Winds" town which branched out to Minoc at first. Opening quests for players to conquer. Such as gather mass quantities of materials for the reconstruction of towns. That being things like logs, ingots, sand and glass. One by one they were achieved and unlocked. Fighters having their fair fun in hunting down the demonic hordes that overwhelmed the lands. Discovering their plots. Heck even Tekstone could be involved in the plot. Dungeons were also locked by "mystical gates" that required a password to enter, which you could find hints of spread throughout the lands while others remained common sense like Covetous, Shame etc. Though we could change that. We could also hide the passwords to dungeons in a variety of quests. Doing one dungeon at a time. I just see the extensive player and staff interaction this could bring along is all.

We could also limit the amount of mining veins at first. Keeping basic stuff, leaving the most awesome ones to be found again. Possibly through quests that would lead to more nodes being spawned. Although the exact locations of these new veins would not be given to players. It would require some good thinking and running around with assay kits to fully discover them. Maybe place very small veins, where people might think they've found it. Yet the larger more "actual" veins of them are elsewhere. Maybe these smaller veins could lead a path to other veins, etc?

Of course we could do things a little differently with some good plotting. Could we have something like this happen even if the final decision is starting a new world entirely? Maybe I should have tossed this up on the ideas section instead. :S