Magical items

If you want to know the community’s opinion about a topic, make a poll here.

Moderator: Game Masters

Should we get rid of magical items?

Yes, get rid of them all
33%
No, they are needed
21%
Don't get rid but make more rare
46%

Total votes: 61

Darian Darkmind

Re: Magical items

Post by Darian Darkmind »

Monad wrote:Darian you assume that hunting would meet its end if we remove magical armors and restrict weapons to special ore weapons with force, power or vanquishing suffixes. I disagree, quite the opposite.

The special weapons would be more rare which would lead to players literally hunt for them. If they find something and see special colored weapon in corpse, they will at least know it's a good one. So they would face less disappointments, it would be more rare and more "whoa!" feeling when you find one, instead those dozens of useless/semi-useless magical weapons or armors you find nowadays from half of the monsters.
Which is why I've been saying all this time that you can and should remove that "not so good" stuff, magic irons, magic leathers. Leave the rest as it is. Only leathers and bones need to be made more rare, the weapons and metal armors doesn't. They already are rare enough. In my time in Pangaea I've only found two magic onyx weapons. One was GM made during a quest and other was a random drop from a venomous dragon. So basically in 10 years I've seen only one magic onyx weapon that wasn't a GM made.

I've nothing against removing iron armours from defence to fortification. I'd keep the iron of invul stuff as that's not THAT common and it's not any better than empyrean armors, but it's something that active hunters find and could use in PvP giving them a small bonus against people who only buy/mule items from smiths. And imho active hunters should find "useable" stuff from their hunts, stuff they dare to use even in PvP.
Last edited by Darian Darkmind on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerbal

Post by Kerbal »

Darian Darkmind wrote:
Kerbal wrote:
Quintoz wrote:I would rather see the Iron magical shit removed since that's the things being used instead of smithed goods while keeping the special ores / hides / logs of vanq / invul.
Sounds good. Although the items out of special material should be more rare than they are now. (Wait, NO! Gonna lose all my shit if this happens! :o )
Only the hides and bones. The staffs, instruments and metallic armors and weapons are rare. I mean in every hunt you find one or two, but it's often dull-copper or if it's better it's some "basic" ore like aughlite, radlius, syntian and even then it's often "of hardening". Actually finding the good magical of invulnerability parts are very hard and rare - except the hides and bones which drop-rate, once again, should be seriously tweaked.
This be true.
aldath c'om

Post by aldath c'om »

Just do it
291-697-526
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

Darian, that's exactly the problem right now. I am personally finding it hard to get any customers for 'mid-grade' ores.
Tailos, exactly the same issue. Any hardening, invul part on the shard destroyes the market from each side.

Making really unique and rare things would be a benefit, also can add decorative items and add more items to the loot. But armors, weapons should be only coming from merchants. Even if they will not add veins, the mid-grade materials will be in use from every side.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I've never felt like i hunted for magical weapons or magical armor so I'm not turned off by the idea of them not being around. But seriously, something needs to be done about dumbass smith prices. There are seriously Scarletite sets out there on the market for 80k. That is pure brain damage, but I'm not pointing fingers at any particular player. It seems like a consequence of a lack of veins. We have to see prices lowered and avalibility increased as demand increases, as it would if people couldn't find forty/invul chain parts.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Demian

Post by Demian »

Good thought, but in my eyes this is the deathblow to hunting, atleast for me it would be. I like the excitement of finding something else than gold from monsters.
Zaradon

Post by Zaradon »

You can still find magical tools, they can always take the decorations and other rare items into the loot.
Demian

Post by Demian »

Demian wrote:Good thought, but in my eyes this is the deathblow to hunting, atleast for me it would be. I like the excitement of finding something else than gold from monsters.
Not only this, but making hunting less profitable would cause robbers to be even more active, and that causing people to hunt less in fear of robbers.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Demian wrote:
Demian wrote:Good thought, but in my eyes this is the deathblow to hunting, atleast for me it would be. I like the excitement of finding something else than gold from monsters.
Not only this, but making hunting less profitable would cause robbers to be even more active, and that causing people to hunt less in fear of robbers.
Magic cloth/jewlery, reagents, materials and gold have always done it for me.
"last i knew it was illegal to hate someone" Richard Mota
Aileth

Post by Aileth »

It still thrills me just to gather a group and have fun killing/getting new tactics and finding surprise monsters in the dungeons that we hunt more often.